Fantastic $7 Victorinox paring knife

It is a great knife.

It’s has a thin, stiff blade. I have the strange sensation of cutting apples with a large X-Acto blade.

1 Like

I’ve got one of these. It’s a decent little knife. The steel has a good heat treat (though my preference would be for a slightly harder/slightly less tempered blade). But I’m picky because I make knives, and grew up using japanese knives, which tend to be a bit on the harder (but more brittle) side.

It’s a reciprocal arrangement then? The cats imbue his knives with preternatural sharpness, and in return, well…

2 Likes

AGH! WHY IS THAT KNIFE RUSTY!

Is the knife sharp enough to cut lines?
Or ties?

Cheap paring knives with some blade strength to them are also ideal oyster shucking knives, if you follow the easy shucking method. Easy shucking method: Hold oyster flat by the round (hinge) end. Use your old garden or pruning shears to clip off the tip (or bill) of the oyster. Insert knife blade into opening created by clipping off the tip. Slice toward hinge end. Knife will cut through adductor muscle, allowing you to pry open the oyster. Use knife tip to pick up and turn over the oyster, allowing for perfect presentation. If you do this with care, you won’t lose the delicious oyster liquor. And, this is the only method that doesn’t require lots of strength or put you at risk for stabbing yourself. It is also an ideal two-person method. Person 1 clips bills, and person 2 shucks. (Hat tip to Bernie Herman)

The easiest way to deal with oysters is to leave the disgusting balls of slime inside their shells on the ocean bed where they belong, which is usually far, far away from peoples’ mouths. :wink:

1 Like

$2 knock-off, in a variety of colors, plain and serrated:

im going to check it out. Xacto knives are my favorite whittling knives

[offtopic] Heh, having read about the pirates yesterday, I’m seeing hints of printed words in the dark marks on the cutting board/counter in your image! Some printing from some food-packaging having transferred, perhaps? Or most likely just my imagination having been triggered, perhaps?

2 Likes

The serrated version of this knife is an industry standard in commercial fishing. Known simply as a Vicky, it is worn in sheath especially when hauling gear, as a safety knife. The theory is if you get caught in the bight (tangled in a rope) and dragged overboard, you can cut the rope free.
Every newbie greenhorn deckhand gets warned about how ridiculously sharp they are and to respect them. Yet, seemingly without fail, they cut themselves in the first few days, often needing stitches.

3 Likes

Desk. Remnants from a label that transferred to the surface many years ago. Someday I should sand it down a bit and revarnish.

3 Likes

It’s easy to knock off a knife, if you’re willing to cut corners on the blade. After all, your customers won’t notice.

that said, is the victorinox blade worth mentioning?

Related:

1 Like

Or just call it patina.

1 Like

Now I’m hungry.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.