Fantastic fireball over the Midwest this morning was a failed Russian spy satellite

Originally published at: Fantastic fireball over the Midwest this morning was a failed Russian spy satellite | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Those Russkis will try anything, I tell ya.

6 Likes

Free fireworks show courtesy of the CIA.

4 Likes

Boy, even the satellites are defecting.

7 Likes

Much more likely, it was simply brought down by its own inability to increase its altitude when required, per the article. In Low Earth Orbit (great for spy satellites), satellites (and the ISS also, for that matter) have to deal with the outer fringes of Earth’s atmosphere which can actually create drag on whatever’s whizzing around in LEO, thereby slowing orbiting objects down enough to lose orbital velocity and crashing back down to Earth. There’s also the Sun’s solar wind which, based on its intensity, can cause Earth’s atmosphere to expand out far enough to create even more drag.

6 Likes

Magnets, how the fk do they work?

3 Likes

Coulda been worse.

11 Likes

Are they sure it failed?

6 Likes

It didn’t fail, it was just going in for a close up.

7 Likes

Or perhaps the visible decoy payload did it’s job, and the vanta-black painted, low radar cross section, low thermal emission SUPER DUPER ULTRA SECRET Nuclear powered 5G spy nano-satellite reached orbit without raising suspicions :stuck_out_tongue:

(Did I miss any buzzwords?)

8 Likes

Vaccines! Micro Chips! New World Order!

7 Likes

Obligs:

5 Likes

Still, ‘tis a pity rootin’ tootin’ vladi putin wasn’t aboard.

2 Likes

Hypersonic. Fermented. These trying times. Since the Before Time.

6 Likes

I know you’re joking, but I’d be surprised if this had never been tried by one of the superpowers. After all, if you adversaries don’t know about a particular spy-sat, it’s harder for them to hide from it.
Although in this case I think it’s more likely to be a simple failure.

4 Likes

thoughts and prayers for the family of the satellite.

5 Likes

If the Russians really wanted to spy on us, why not just use the 5G nanobots in the vaccines? :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Because the nanochips/bots were created to control us, not spying.

hat foil GIF

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.