Fantastic Four director slams his own movie

Last month we also got Gatchaman Crowds Insight, as well as Ghost in the Shell: Alternative Architecture. It is not unusual for manga and anime to revisit older properties. But when they do, it is usually because there is a story to tell, rather than a nostalgic cash-grab. The new stuff (as is the case with Gatchaman) may hardly resemble the original at all.

2 Likes

Nah, they’ll be too busy scrounging for water and avoiding superstorms in the wastes as they make a desperate journey to reach a rumored secure settlement on Victoria Island.

1 Like

That can’t possibly be a good career move.

…mother of God…

I never made the connection.

1 Like

[quote=“simonize, post:18, topic:63294, full:true”]All the more reason to release the Rodger Croman version…[/quote]The reviews seem to keep mentioning that as if it is a legitimate piece of cinema.

They were DOOMED from the start, amirite?

8 Likes

I have a copy around here somewhere, Was in Imported .

Because Fox has the film rights to him and isn’t really interested in building a “cinematic universe”.

2 Likes

also a good point. Just look at Gundam, no two series are alike, the universe is shared to an extent but each time it’s another epoch with a new group of people and completely different in just about every way.

A bit like Blackadder.

2 Likes

Yes, I thought of Gundam immediately after I posted the other bit!

[quote=“singletona082, post:4, topic:63294”]Then again maybe they considered it cheaper this way or want to hold the rights ransom because ‘hey marvel should be flush with cash. they should pay us big huge bookoo bucks.’[/quote]If this was supposed to just be an exercise in rights-keeping, there would surely have been much, much cheaper ways of doing it.

2 Likes

I think you mean aging Gen Xers - because I think it’s my generation that these films are aimed at! The fact that Joss Whedon is so involved with the Marvel Cinematic Universe I think is some evidence of that… Maybe late boomers, but it’s Gen X who has at least some of the buying power right now.

3 Likes

What is it about Fantastic four that they can’t seem to get right… This is the 3rd attempt at this franchise, right? Is it just the studio?

2 Likes

Yeah. The timing may have been related to rights—I don’t know enough about the contract between Marvel & Fox to say anything on that—but the budget spent on it, the known names attached to it, the summer release, and the fact that they’re already considering a sequel* suggests that the intention with the film itself was to release something that people would want to go see.

* Whether that gets made will all come down to box office. The previous two 20th Century Fox FF films were also critically savaged, though not to the extent the current one is, but still made money. The current one looks like it will likely be #1 over the weekend, but whether that means it can make its budget back or not is another thing.

All anyone ever wanted to know about the movie. Also, he is supposedly on 4chan again today.

3 Likes

A? 

2 Likes

Acquaintances I have who are in the legal profession have called the conclusions towards the end, and I quote, “nonsense”. Which is to say: I wouldn’t pay much attention to that part, and it does lead to questions about the accuracy of the other parts.

The only thing that interested me about this was reading that Philip Glass was working on the score. Any of you gone cats hear it? Is it Glassy?

Wait, WHAT?! They already re-did ARISE? Why? From the wiki it just looks like they re-aired the exact same episodes in ARISE but in a different order? That seems incredibly pointless. Why not just shuffle the dvds like a deck of cards and sell a new version every few months?

Arise were not television movies, they were shown in Japanese cinemas. Alternative Architecture is basically formatting the instalments for television, while adding a new fifth story at the end for episodes 9 and 10. It was ok, but I was not so keen on stories 4-5. I thought Arise started well and peaked in the middle with stories 2-3. They also have a feature-length story for release later this year, I think. ETA movie released there already, but I haven’t seen it yet.

2 Likes