Fantastic photos of newly-discovered 19th century shipwrecks at the bottom of Lake Superior

Originally published at: Fantastic photos of newly-discovered 19th century shipwrecks at the bottom of Lake Superior | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Those are cool photos, but the real aficionados want the ones from this article as well.

12 Likes

From the linked Smithsonian article:

On August 25, 1883, the Dot was carrying a load of iron ore

We know how that songs ends.

12 Likes

Man when I was a kid I used to LOVE National Geographic with ship wreck photos and treasures.

9 Likes

Grand Marais, eh? Home of the Pickle Barrel House.

4 Likes

Definitely before my time at sea, at least by a year or two.

8 Likes

Saponification! It’s the word of the day!

8 Likes

Underwater pictures of where the Edmund Fitzgerald lies in Lake Superior. These two burning objects, about the size of golf balls, were encountered by Frederick J. Shannon in the Delta submarine while hovering at the starboard (right) side of the Fitzgerald bow. The water temperature was 43 degrees and the depth was 530 feet. Pressure was 251 pounds per square inch. No debris was in the water and nothing was dropped from the surface. There is no logical explanation for their sudden appearance. The objects floated toward and disappeared into the hull of the ship.

You’re late. Halloween was a few days ago. :ghost:

5 Likes

Came to mention this, thank you!

1 Like

…I turn to soap when you are gone
I turn to soap
I turn to soap, when you comin’ home
I can’t go on

Turn to soap when you are gone
I turn to soap…

Grand Marais also means “big swamp” en français, mon ami XD

Yeah. I was not finding any other praises of the town to sing. But there is a very nice waterfall and beach (Sable Falls) a bit outside of town, at the eastern end of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.

1 Like

Ok but I don’t remember the Wreck of the Frank N. Wheeler charting.

an old-fashioned stove

This is such weird wording. It wasn’t old fashioned at the time. So either call everything in the cabin old fashioned or nothing. But why single out the stove?

2 Likes

IKR.
my fascination is the 140 year old rigging in the lead photo. I realize it is bloody cold and very low oxygen in the water at that depth making organic rope rot slowly and the near total lack of encrusting organisms seems to support that notion.
just looks like you could still use it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.