Fantasy maps deemed terrible, or fine, depending

Mountains don’t do corners? Take a look at California, about midway between Los Angeles and Bakersfield, east of Santa Barbara.

2 Likes

While we are talking RPG, is there a depository for people who put together campaigns to archive and share? I did a fair amount of world building and I’d like to take my notes and jot things down take my maps and put them up for others to borrow.

4 Likes

Oh Jesus F*ck. We’re having a hard time suspending disbelief with geological morphology of a fictional map?

Maybe you didn’t notice, but GoT has Fucking ZOMBIES. Sorry mapmakers. I think the Biologists have more of a bone to pick here.

And super long summers and winters that vary in length. Get me some astrophysicist to explain to me the kind of planetary system where that works.

And Valerian steel. Its still steel, but its stronger and lighter than steel. And spellbound. I’m sure Elon Musk has some of that sitting around in the SpaceX warehouse.

Oh yea I almost forgot. GoT has straight up bring-people-back-from-the-dead magic.

…And a Westerosi society that somehow has (had) effective magic (and arguably, the favor of real gods) and yet its technology has stagnated at medieval European standards for going on 1000’s of years.

And there’s an ice wall 700 feet high and a good 300 miles long. Built by hand.

Not to mention that this isn’t the Jetsons. Anyone care to comment on the accuracy of a map drawn in 1200?

10 Likes

I wonder about all those things…

4 Likes

By hand…and magic.

3 Likes

Gotta keep the ice weasels safely quarantined.

4 Likes

How you going to do that? Fuckers can tunnel.

4 Likes

Couldn’t help thinking of this:

Imgur

21 Likes

Geologist, GIS professional, and fantasy fan here to say, wow, what a rant. I don’t really care how bad the maps are and I have always liked it when the author included one. Usually my gripe has more to do with labeling that is illegible due to bad handwriting, a poorly chosen font, ink bleed, or placement right in the fold.

I eventually had to put The Broken Earth down because I decided I would rather re-read Vonnegut instead, but I did like the inclusion of plate boundaries in the map.

9 Likes

First world imaginary problems.

Also, obligs:

14 Likes

Round-world problems, amirite?

9 Likes

Personally, I think I’d trade living on Discworld for the current reality that I find myself stuck in…

13 Likes

Don’t forget http://farm1.staticflickr.com/116/303822593_4a440c6f52.jpg

1 Like

See also the fact that westeros is templated on the real geology of Ireland.

1 Like
2 Likes

Oooh, band name and a half there.

2 Likes

Backslash Mountains is so Dwarf Fortress tho.

I seem to recall Piers Anthony just used a map of Florida for his world of Xanth. The added realism didn’t help the story. Although I doubt anything short of a bonfire could help those stories.

5 Likes

obligatory

6 Likes

Would the “Is your map more or less interesting than just dumping a Dwarf Fortress world into World Viewer” criterion be too cruel to humans?

1 Like