Far Cry 7 reportedly in the works

Originally published at: Far Cry 7 reportedly in the works | Boing Boing

Did anyone tell Ubisoft the definition of insanity?

I’ve heard that it’s doing the same thing over and over and over again.

2 Likes

I don’t know if “making money machine go brrrrr again” qualifies under insanity.

5 Likes

I know that this is kind of random, but I have found that the Far Cry games are perfect for when you have jetlag and it’s 3pm and you’re just trying to stay awake so you can adjust to the time zone. No brainpower needed, just enough action to keep you awake.

5 Likes

I’m not accusing Ubisoft of being irrational dead eyed bean counters; I just couldn’t resist the fact that a series whose most iconic moment is a rant about insanity-as-repetition is best known for being so samey as to be edging into some sort of corporate stereotypic behavior.

4 Likes

I’ve only really poked here and there at the games, didn’t recognize it from them.

Assassin’s Creed on the other hand…

1 Like

The “electrifying performance” link in the article is to the performance in question; I don’t know where it actually falls in the game, I’ve only seen it in isolation.

1 Like

I have enjoyed Far Cry repetitive formula enormously after my disappointment with Doom Eternal (because it is a Super Mario platformer disguised as Doom)… I played FC1 on an AGP system of the age of legends and then FC2 on a PCI-Express one… years later and through the pandemic I played FC3-4-5, and now expecting to play FC6 as soon as there is downtime at the place that gave me moneys. My favorite is FC4 due to the Nepalese/Tibet setting.

It is the same thing over and over again, and for months I hesitated on playing FC5, but after a deep discount I got it and was hooked again.

I’m hesitating on FC6 and probably will with FC7, but probably will play both, meh.

1 Like

I think I will keep my streak of only playing Far Cry Primal. I’m a sucker for a pre-history setting.

2 Likes

FC4 had Pagan Min, FC5 had the Seed Family, and the Protectors of Eden’s Gate; both of which were fantastic and not underused villains, Pagan Min trash-talking you constantly as you’re running for your life was always great, and the Seeds were completely terrifying. FC6 leans into a Miami Vice vibe very hard, and it’s a blast if you just go with it, and yes there’s a store, but I never bought anything from it and never felt like I was missing out on any gameplay.

6 Likes

It sounds like the reviewer skipped over all of Esposito’s cutscenes. He is a major presence through most of the gameplay, far more than “a few minutes.” He makes a chilling villain.

3 Likes

Ubisoft has spent nearly two decades perfecting the kind of Skinner Box open world game design that has sustained them through many franchises. You basically know exactly what you’re getting.

You have Assassins Creed for the huge open world historical murder simulator, Watch Dogs for the huge open world near-future hacker simulator, and Far Cry for the “destination” murder simulator. They may be a prime example of a mile wide and inch deep in many regards, but they often have hugely satisfying gameplay loops and just enough interesting story and characters to keep things moving along.

It’s not at all surprising there’s another Far Cry in the works; of course there is. Just like there’s another AC game in the works, and likely Watch Dogs too.

Giancarlo Esposito is great in FC6 and anybody who has seen Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul is well aware of what a chilling villain he makes, but his presence in the game is really quite minimal beyond a few cut scenes. It’s a damn shame.

1 Like

OG Far Cry was fun. All the others, IMO, have too much fettling rusty guns (that’d be YOU, FC2), driving terrible cars for far too long and dull ,grindy side quests. Meh.

Honestly, FC6 is pretty fun. I got it on a huge sale ($20 maybe?) Money-making machine aside, it did have three neat free side-missions that crossovered with Stranger Things and Rambo (I missed the Danny Trejo one which I was peeved about). The music is great, the setting is again like you’re on vacation, and I’m learning some pretty awesome Cuban swear words :grin:

1 Like

FC2 has its charms and was actually really strong story-wise but it leaned really heavy on realism. Perhaps too much so (broken guns, seeking malaria meds, and such). 3 and later did away with all of that entirely and established the formula all future FC games would follow for better or for worse.

4 Likes

I am confused by all of the comments here. People talking about characters, voice actors, plot, and story. None of this seems to match up to the game that I play, which is a game about shooting the locks off of cages containing tigers and other wild animals from great distances

3 Likes

Great! I’m pretty sure I’ll play it, $20 sounds about right, hope I get it at that or lower in a few months, now I’m very busy at the evenings, perhaps mid-year. Actually the music is what I would find annoying, as every time I visit my family’s latino country is the first thing I hate, godamn speakers all around the place with that boombastic Latino Pop, argh… Haha! Cubaneo is widely known as well in latinolandia, I guess there is a lot of “asere”, “chico”, “que bolá” in the game? Ha!

Which Far Cry did they introduce the Uplay requirement? I’m thinking it’s 3 because at that point i’d given up on the series as i didn’t want a Ubisoft DRM client so just played the first two.

1 Like

3 would make sense, as 1 & 2 are on GoG, but 3 is not.

I just play 'em on console, I’m way pickier about DRM on my computer.

2 Likes

I certainly remember the problems they had when it launched of it not connecting to the servers to authenticate and anyone who remembers having the misfortune of using the god awful Games for Windows Live service will now feel a chill run up their spine.

1 Like