Far-out 1960s rock 'n' roll beatnik TV commercial for Hot Shots candy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/11/far-out-1960s-rock-n-roll.html

5 Likes

“Beatnik”? That’s clearly a reaction to the Beatles and the British Invasion in general. American media really did see all those English bands as looking and sounding the same.

“Bug Music”

2 Likes

Especially since they all did.

1 Like

Well, only sort of. The bands that had hits immediately in the Beatles wake, Herman’s Hermits, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas, Arthur Hodgson and the Kneecaps – they were pretty generic and their lack of staying power shows it. To American squares, the bands were interchangeable mop tops with tight suits, not realizing that the Beatles were on a different level.

4 Likes

Yeah that is more channeling The Beatles rather than beatniks.
If it was beatniks they would have had berets, goatees and be playing jazz.

5 Likes

beatniks

8 Likes

Dam! Left my black baret at home, but have the dark sunglasses.

3 Likes

I found it to be inspired by both which is why I wrote “rock ‘n’ roll” in the headline. Thanks.

4 Likes

So I suppose that band must be the Hoosier Hot Shots?

Can anyone identify who did the animation? It seems very familiar.

2 Likes

Maybe in the Sgt. Pepper days, but I think it would have taken a very keen eye to envision the trajectory of the band in 1964, and see past the long hair, simple lyrics, and screaming fangirls.

1 Like

Works for me.
I wanna try whatever they are selling.
May not live up to the hype, but it’s enough to make me give it a go at least once. Yay for stimulating advertising.

My opinion may chance if I were subjected to this riff every single ad break though.

You’re making that band up!

one google search later

I stand corrected; someone else made that band up. My apologies.

2 Likes

Oh man! Even the kids who are over 50 better get off your lawn!

1 Like

Sometimes, I even need to get off my own lawn.

3 Likes

Isn’t the voice-over Tom Bosley?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.