American Bandstand teens react to The Beatle's psychedelic 1967 videos for "Strawberry Fields" and "Penny Lane"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/12/american-bandstand-teens-react.html

2 Likes

“They look older and it ruins their image.”

There ya have it folks, don’t ever grow old.

17 Likes

Dick Clark asking the kids if they think The Beatles will outlast The Monkees. Almost everyone voted for The Beatles. And, of course, they were wrong

In a literal sense of course they were wrong but The Beatles remain relevant and are arguably more relevant than The Monkees to the average person.

16 Likes

Depends on your definition of “outlast,” though, doesn’t it? The Monkees may still be making music, but the Beatles have by almost every measure outlasted them as a force in the history of music (including by inspiring the creation of the Monkees).

17 Likes

Off-topic, but I was 4 days old when that aired.

11 Likes

An entire generation so proud of their 60s, but it hardly seems any of them were ever really a part of that (unless you happened to live on Haight Ashbury or accidently stumbled into Woodstock NY at the right time). I hope your 401ks have done really well for you.

Wow… I think I need some fresh air lol.

8 Likes

If by outlast they mean outlive, the bands are currently tied with two surviving members each.

9 Likes

Things like that always make me pause. The other day, a character on the new Twilight Zone had my exact birth date, including the year. It felt like I should have won something.

5 Likes

It’s hard to predict the future. Try going back to 1985 and ask who will remain relevant longer, Michael Jackson or Weird Al Yankovic.

3 Likes

I saw it when first broadcast. Never missed American Bandstand if possible. And I have to say I enjoy Penny Lane more both at the time and now. But then again, I always like Paul better.

5 Likes

My dad, who is as square as Colorado, once tried to sound hip by saying “you forget, I grew up in the ‘60s”. My immediate thought was “no, you didn’t”.

6 Likes

I saw Peter Tork in a small club of about 200 people.

I’d have taken any Beatle over that.

6 Likes

I don’t know if he’s still touring, but between sets Peter Noone used to tell pretty amusing stories about 60s music, including the inability of large numbers of Americans to tell the difference between his band (Herman’s Hermits) and the Monkees. He also did great impressions of many of his contemporary invasion rockers. I last saw him in a strange concert where Eric Burdon – the warmup act! – fell off the stage, totally not from being drunk.

4 Likes

“The Beatle’s”? Which one are you talking about? :thinking:

1 Like

All those 15 to 18 year olds in 1967. Wonder how many of those boys survived Da Nang. Thinking more about that, maybe none of them had to go over there. If their folks could get them onto AB, then they could get them out of the draft.

1 Like

I thought they were supposed to be reacting to the music

oasis

Oasis storms out, offended they weren’t foreseen, gets into a fight with each other in the parking lot.

3 Likes

The promotional clips they were watching were filmed in color. Must have looked extra confusing in black & white to the viewers at home.

5 Likes

Obligatory:

4 Likes

Actually, 1967 was a whole lotta long time ago. I am more curious about how many of them are still alive at all especially with some kinda age related pandemic killing hundreds of thousands of people.

And RIP Dick Clark, the only good thing to ever happen to New Years Eve.

I never really like American Bandstand. Too many lip synced performances.