American Bandstand teens react to The Beatle's psychedelic 1967 videos for "Strawberry Fields" and "Penny Lane"

I remember seeing those promos when they aired as a 7 year old - always thought it was on Ed Sullivan but I don’t know. It was very, very strange. The music, their appearance, the vibe. The world changed. Sgt Pepper came out and my sister got it for Christmas and we sat up in her room listening to it and reading the lyrics and looking at the album art.

4 Likes

I was interested to find out about this 2016 Monkeys’ effort because I missed hearing about it at the time… was already expecting it to be a little sad because Davy Jones was gone by then but it got much sadder after I looked into the album.

To produce the new album, the band found the perfect musical co-conspirator in Grammy® and Emmy®-winning songwriter Adam Schlesinger (Fountains Of Wayne, Ivy)

He passed away earlier this year due to covid-19.

4 Likes

My stepmother was the same age as those teens. She and her older sister, who’s in Pennsylvania, are still hanging in there. My uncle had to put his basement bakery on hiatus, but I think they’re getting by.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Well, you’ve outlasted both the Beatles and the Monkees. Congratulations!

How do you suppose they were presented to the studio audience? On film or video?

1 Like

There are very few live Eric Burden stories I have heard where he either wasn’t falling off the stage for some reason, or entirely incapacitated from acid. And I don’t go looking for these stories. I hope he’s well.

Happy birthday, fellow Pisces from 1967. I was 19 days old.

1 Like

Weird Al’s staying power was a surprise to me.

Not that I thought his work was sub-par, just that parody songs didn’t seem like the kind of thing that an entire career could hang on.

But, I guess, that just goes to show how good he was at capturing the essence of the music .

5 Likes

MJ is still relevant as well, musically speaking.

4 Likes

Michael Jackson was in his own league.

He redefined what it was to be famous, a pop superstar whose music, along with Madonna, Prince, and the Cranberries left an indelible mark on my pre-teen brain.

There will never be another Michael Jackson.

(at least, in my old, out-of-touch-with-current-popular-music opinion :slight_smile: )

I just re-watched Sargent Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band recently. You know, the one with The Bee Gees and Peter Framptom.

Lol I’d love to see their reaction watching that one.

steve-dance|nullxnull

2 Likes

Making someone watch that movie is a war crime i’m pretty sure.

1 Like

Ohh, you know that P. Framptom T. Perry fight scene was Oscar worthy material! :smile:

[PTSD Intensifies] :sob:

2 Likes

Ehh. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_(album)

The commune at Haight & Clayton (a block from Ashbury) I lived in then lacked a TV so I missed the AB show but all the SF bands rehearsed in the basement at 1090 Page or played free in the Panhandle so I don’t feel deprived. My infant daughter pissed on Jerry Garcia. Does she deserve bragging rights?.

1 Like

I was wondering that as well. My guess is film as it would have been more readily available at that time. (Perhaps.)

1 Like

The album they made together is enjoyable and has some hauntingly beautiful moments. Micky and Mike harmonizing was always golden.

My introduction to the world was still two months away from that airing.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.