Far-out Japanese laserdisc of 1980s space fantasy artwork with astro-jazz funk/ambient soundtrack (video)

Originally published at: Far-out Japanese laserdisc of 1980s space fantasy artwork with astro-jazz funk/ambient soundtrack (video) | Boing Boing

3 Likes

What did Spock find in the Captain’s bathroom?

1 Like

Oh yeah, it has been a while that I experienced this one before. Nice reminder

The Captain’s log.

6 Likes

The captain’s head?

This reminds me of a series of books that told a science fiction story accompanied by oil painting sci fi pictures. I wish I remembered the names of any of the books. When they came out, I couldn’t afford to buy them. Now that I can afford to buy them, I can’t remember their names to find them.

1 Like

Yes! The Terran Trade Authority books. I had most of them.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/series/terran-trade-authority/38654/

5 Likes

I love that 70s/80s style of sci-fi art. The bulbous, industrial spaceships; the vivid colours; the detailed busyness; and the general weirdness of it all (sometimes subtle, sometimes heaped on with a trowel). You can almost taste the future-ness of it.

Thank you! Yes! These are the books! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

ColossalImmediateIndigowingedparrot-size_restricted

1 Like

Please correct:
Jinsei CHOH

This may have been an inspiration for BR Space Night, something I still watch (and record, so I can watch whenever I like, though I can now just access the Mediathek).

2 Likes

This looks like it was originally a multi-image production that was later captured on video. Multi-image shows used racks of slide projectors aimed at a screen, which allows for cuts and crossfades and a few other effects. You’d typically see these kinds of productions at product launches or museum displays. It probably peaked in the late 1980s when projected video started to get good enough. I made a few multi-image shows between 1986 and 1989.

Definitive proof that people in the 1980s had much longer attention spans. Love the art, though, if not the glacial slideshow method of presenting it. A few of the images look like they borrowed pretty heavily from Star Trek… but then it looks like Star Trek borrowed right back, because some of them have features similar to ones that wouldn’t be seen until Star Trek: The Next Generation in 1987.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.