Far out UFO house for sale

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/11/far-out-ufo-house-for-sale.html

2 Likes

wow, i would love to have one of those. way out of my reach, though.

6 Likes

There is one sitting vacant in Hatteras, NC today.

11 Likes

Previous discussions

• Including link to map of remaining 57 Futuros
6 Likes

Buy a mating pair and sell the younglings.

The Futuro is a nice ski chalet, but if I had the money, I’d want a redesign with modern materials and a bit more room.

14 Likes

Might make a groovy new addition for whomever purchased Pierre Cardin’s crib…

Suuronen would have been ok with that I think.

9 Likes

Prospective buyer: “So, what are the benefits of owning this house?”

Real estate agent: “It looks really cool!”

Buyer: “OK, what else?”

Real estate agent: “Just look at how cool it is!”

15 Likes

Suuronen designed other semi portable composite buildings too (Futuro was the second largest of these). Some of them are still in use in Finland. My favorite snack bar is one of them. It’s located in the campus area of the technical university from where Suuronen graduated.

11 Likes

That’s what you said last time. Glad to see your ambitions remain. :wink:

As for younglings
younglings

10 Likes

This would be a nice exterior, with almost 4x the diameter. (Redesign the interior.)

9 Likes

Oh, yes. I could go for that, for sure. Does need extra oval windows, though.

3 Likes

I want a Futuro mod for Fallout 4, and I want it now!

3 Likes

It might be more fun to cut the legs off and shove the whole think down the slope…Probably be hell getting it back up the slope though.

7 Likes

And you’d have to fight Nazis during the trip down the mountain.

/cue Indy theme

11 Likes

i'm interested

7 Likes

Neat! Looks a bit like the “Flying Saucer”" gift shop at Rainbow Valley park in Cavendish, PEI.

4 Likes

Frankly, I love this concept as a little vacation home or something. But I’m a total nerd and this is how I roll.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t mind a round room in my home, but it would need to be attached to a larger rectangular base. And the round room should rotate. It would probably end up looking like a burger, not sure yet if that is a bad thing?

1 Like

If you rotate it 90° on the X-axis, probably…

Like one of those one wheeled contrivances, yes, exactly. You folks really are my people.

1 Like