The classic UFO house returns to Earth

Originally published at: The classic UFO house returns to Earth | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I have thought for a long time about putting an office building on my land, and this… This makes me want to go for it, damn the torpedoes.

13 Likes

I love it, but after watching this video (which I realize is just a computer rendering) I’m left with one simple question… how the hell do you get inside of it?

Am I right to assume…

6 Likes

11 Likes

Put an engine in it so it can fly from place to place and I’m all in.

5 Likes

Still the same size and floorplan?

It always seemed like a nice place to spend a week in.

3 Likes

Been there bought a fridge magnet. The light switches in that one made me feel nostalgic.

7 Likes

BUT, But, but… where are the oval windows?

3 Likes

Futuro houses, geodesic domes, etc, all have the same problem- furniture is rectangular. These houses are impossible to furnish in any remotely efficient way unless you have custom fitted furniture built.

5 Likes

What’s the cost?

2 Likes

Questions regarding the quality of decision-making can exist at the consumer end too: In our group at my first employer, we had a tool designer who — along with living in an all-wood geodesic dome situated adjacent to a high fire hazard severity zone (yes, it eventually burnt down) — he (and I hope you’re not eating anything at this moment) would reuse tissue paper. He’d blow his nose into it, stick it into his desk drawer, reuse it when it had stiffened to his liking, then start the process all over again.

3 Likes

For a big enough circle, it approximates a flat surface for human-size furniture, but an Independence Day-sized Futuro would be a little pricey. :rofl:

4 Likes

Spend a week? Spend a night …

5 Likes

Yeah, seems fun for glamping, but not for living

4 Likes

And Futuro houses at least had seating molded into the interiors, kitchens and baths too, so they precluded the effort to fit square furniture and fittings into the rounded spaces.

7 Likes

The awesome Lisa in Japan visited one in Gunma not long ago:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CamZ_dhvuQd/

She also took some great photos of the iconic Nakagin Capsule Tower - which sadly may be gone by the time they let tourists back into Japan… :cry::

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYSUVlZBMH2/

ETA: just watched the preview vid for the new one, must agree with this:

4 Likes

.Also available as Tiny Home:

10 Likes

11 Likes

8571ca9a25751bd9ff5114470b33c02a

2 Likes

Shagpile fireplace!!! :no_mouth:

3 Likes