Far-right Australian billionaire demands $500k and a vow of silence from a satirical vlogger

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/24/dense-humpty-dumpty.html

Surely Palmer’s actions have lowered his standing in the eyes of the public?

11 Likes

I bet no one would be upset if he changed the appellation to say…

“Laughable Bumblefuck”

6 Likes

A reminder that this isn’t someone trying to strengthen libel laws for anyone else, it’s someone who wants to make libel pay-to-play.

6 Likes

I take it Australia has no anti-SLAPP legislation?

2 Likes

Don’t know what anti-SLAPP legislation is and too tired to investigate now as it’s 4am here, but defamation defences include truth, good-faith opinion, and more.

1 Like

Far-right Australian billionaire Fatty McFuckface demands $500k and a vow of silence from a satirical vlogger

FTFY

2 Likes

SLAPP stands for Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation - in other words, the rich and powerful suing the less-so to shut them up, even if the lawsuits have no legal merit.

In jurisdictions with anti-SLAPP legislation in place, a defendant can move to have such a lawsuit dismissed early in the process, before they have to lose their house to pay for defense.

4 Likes

I’m just gonna leave this here…
Private Eye legal response

4 Likes

They won lots of seats. Not for themselves, mind, but their preferences won the LNP enough seats to stay in Palmer’s pocket.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.