Sponsor of the "Discouraging Frivolous Lawsuits Act" sues Twitter cow-account for $250 million

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/20/snowflakes-r-us.html

5 Likes

Devin Nunes…

tumblr_mwh9whAvOH1qb49klo1_400

24 Likes

Wouldn’t this lawsuit be dismissed out of hand? I thought there was clear precedent for satire and parody being protected speech.

14 Likes

Apparently, Devin Nunes has never heard of Barbara Streisand.

22 Likes

15 Likes

PutinTrumpNunesCentipede

The only good thing that ever came from the movie was this meme.

Suits him well.

19 Likes

falsely stated that “The people of California’s Central Valley are upright folk who work hard, look you square in the eye and give you a firm handshake. And then there is @DevinNunes”;

Wait… Does this mean that Devin Nunes feels that the people of California’s Central Valley are NOT upright folk who work hard, look you square in the eye, and give you a firm handshake?

Can they sue him for saying that?

10 Likes

For that diagram to be 100% accurate there should be several million more right-wingers connected to Nunes’ posterior.

14 Likes

He only meant to discourage lawsuits against right-wing assholes, liars and traitors.

7 Likes

falsely stated that “Alpha Omega wines taste like treason”

Well, good luck proving that one. Everyone knows wine tasting is subjective bullshit; where you swear you can pick out blackcurrant and licorice, I may detect notes of treason and asshole.

15 Likes

It’s “Devin.”

Satire, parody, AND political speech. He’s hit the triumvirate of “reasons why the judge is going to laugh themselves off their seats.”

16 Likes

No he has not. Devin Cow went from 1200 followers to over 300,000 this morning thanks to Devin.

22 Likes

Barbara Who? I’m going to have to look her up.

9 Likes

Nunes_TheHumanCentepede

8 Likes

falsely accused Nunes of being part of the President’s “taint” team;

theydo

9 Likes

moo

14 Likes

Oh, none of this is getting to the real joy of this lawsuit which as ever with anything vaguely modern is watching/reading lawyers trying to explain the wonders of the modern web to judges in terms that will make sense in the court record, i.e. explain it to an alien.

Example (and note this is the opening sentence…):

We then move on to say that Twitter creates and develops (yes, we get a whole footnote on what ‘develops’ means) content (ditto). And so it continues.

AKA - I’ve either just graduated from law school and haven’t yet worked out that I don’t have to regurgitate every bit of law I learned in every pleading or I’m getting paid by the yard…

To be fair, he’s not just suing Twitter. He alleges that there was a paid campaign to smear him using Twitter and is also suing the person he alleges was paid to do that.

I think even under the US’s wide protections for free speech that is potentially actionable.

Claiming that @DevinNunesMom falsely impersonated Mr Nunes’s mother is certainly pushing it though.

I’m not sure whether they’re also going to claim that Twitter allowed someone to falsely impersonate one of his cows…

Checks- no they don’t. They do however manage to include sentences such as:

Devin Nunes’ cow has made, published and republished hundreds of false and defamatory statements of and concerning Nunes […]

without any apparent sense of humour.

He also alleges that Twitter “shadow-banned” him just before the election thereby preventing him from electioneering.

That will be interesting.

Part of their argument is that politicians must have access to Twitter in order to speak to the electorate.

In other words, Twitter should be prohibited from blocking/banning or otherwise censoring anyone who is an electoral candidate (at minimum, presumably that logic would also apply to anyone who might at some time be thinking about taking part in public affairs).

They don’t quite go that far in this suit. They only argue that Twitter has a duty to exercise reasonable care in its operation of the site but logically, the next step has to follow.

If Twitter has a duty not to kick off politicians casually because Twitter access is a vital part of campaigning, how can they kick off politicians who say stuff that violates their terms of service as part of their campaign? ie. Trump, etc.

12 Likes

I don’t there there are any objective legal experts, anyone who took a ConLaw class in law school, or anyone who has been in the room when a Law & Order or Judge Judy episode was on who would argue that this case has any chance in hell on the merits.

BUT, if the point is less about winning this particular case than it is riling up an idiot base about how (((Big Media))) is conspiring against conservatives and to put another stone in the foundation of Trump’s justification for more regulation of speech, it may have a shot.

Which seems to be a potential issue of campaign finance violations rather than defamation or conspiracy, no?

6 Likes

What a steaming pool of santorum!

18 Likes