Fast food executive complains that social media inflates young people's "self-importance," killing their willingness to work for free

Related:

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/exposure

47 Likes

I like to tell my students that “exposure” is the thing you die of when you don’t earn enough money to keep a roof over your head.

66 Likes

Cory is known for his hyperbole and exaggerations; like everything else, take what you read with a grain of salt.

That said, you seem not to understand that I’m most bothered by the woman’s shitty attitude towards the work force in general.

Marketing execs or cashiers and burger flippers, it matters not; actually expecting people to be willing to work for free so you can increase your own profit margin is some serious greedy-ass rat bastard bullshit.

That she used demeaning terms to describe her unrealistic expectations is just adding insult to injury.

41 Likes

Workers unite. It’s not that complicated a concept (though it is in practice, unfortunately). I think we need a general strike.

21 Likes

I agreed with this part, abeit briefly. Didn’t I? What are we arguing about if I am not defending this lady? Lol.

Anyways. Doesn’t matter.

Don’t you roll your eyes at me, young old lady…

13 Likes

12 Likes

Interesting, so from this exec’s perspective, smartphones are the subversive threat that once was pockets.

8 Likes

GM of Muffin Break

This should be a problem that solves itself soon. I mean, I’d call for a boycott, but I’m pretty sure I haven’t spent any money there since 2014.

5 Likes

She’s conflating so many true and false ideas about business and life in general, I wonder if she’d survive in a time before turn-key franchises existed.

Some of her points…

“You don’t see it anymore. Before that people would be knocking on your door all the time, you couldn’t keep up with how many people wanted to be working. In fact I’d run programs because there were so many coming in.”

What @Melizmatic said above. It’s not the horrible job market it used to be ten years ago, and there were so many shady businesses trying to exploit the “internship” process that many students are asked to fulfill for consideration for higher school programs or job experience during that time.

It’s important to note that she is a general manager for the company, so interns were likely working for corporate office, rather than pushing a broom in the muffin store.

These days, she notices candidates often walk in to interviews “thinking they’re better than the job”, immediately asking, “How long before I get my promotion? When is the first payrise?”

This is not indicative of entitled brats, this is indicative of a stronger, yet deeply unfair economy. People want to be paid enough to survive, if not live in a dignified manner.

“I think everybody thinks social media is going to get them ahead somewhere,” she said. “There’s definitely that inflated view of their self-importance because they have X amount of Instagram followers or this many likes. That’s dangerous.”

She feels like young people want to be applauded or named “staff member of the month for doing their job”. “Great, you did your job, so you get to keep your job,” she said.

Another indication that she doesn’t have her eyes open to how the market is changing. Social media is opening up opportunities for motivated, creative thinkers at a more advanced rate. People are using it to build solo careers when traditional business models only anchor them in place.
Some people still want the safety of jobs in traditional business markets, but they do see how things are changing, and would like their own companies to meet those challenges with more creative solutions.

She’s watching the market change before her eyes, and instead of doing something to compete with it, she’s choosing to whinge about it. It’s a new game now. We don’t have to play by the old rules.

ETA: tl;dr

People aren’t willing to play a losing game, and want you to give as good as you get, or they fuck off for better things. Get over it, business person.

ETA: So many edits. My grammar today…:roll_eyes:

22 Likes

tumblr_nwh503MpBr1r1vfbso1_500

29 Likes

I didn’t dive into that tweetstream, but weren’t there only two Iraq wars? The Gulf war, and the Iraq invasion. Am I missing some? I may be missing the point…

Two wasn’t enough?

If she voted in favor of two wars and none of those kids’ parents ever had the chance to vote on any of them, then logically, the sarcastic dis still works.

It speaks to her societal stature and privilege, and her total lack of connection to the common masses, over whom she wields great power.

12 Likes

It’s actually indicative of a strong labor market. When workers are in demand people aren’t just taking any job they can get, they have to ability to play hardball on salary. And the freedom to decline jobs based on compensation. Formal raise structures and promotion pathways are part of planning ahead. The UK’s unemployment rate is the apparently the lowest it’s been since the 70’s. And the UK has some of the same issues with wage stagnation among younger workers that the US has.

In terms of the US, it seems the only times that younger workers are getting meaningful increases in pay is when they move jobs.

This has lead to blinkered complaints just like this. As well as claims that millennials/kids these days have no loyalty, are too money hungry, can’t settle down and so forth. As workers below middle age are increasingly aggressive on pay negotiations and jumping to better jobs.

So not necessarily struggling economy, but definitely a weak economy in certain ways.

11 Likes

You’re correct, and I will correct my grammar to my intent, which was more along the lines of unfair economy.

8 Likes

“It’s like the end of Spartacus. I’ve seen that movie half a dozen times, and I still don’t know who the real Spartacus is, and that is what makes that movie a classic whodunit.”

–michael scott

– backtoyoujim

8 Likes

That’s a nice way to put it.

2 Likes

I need to try this place out. I presumably get to take a few bites of the muffin before I decide whether or not to buy it. The muffins are backing themselves, correct?

9 Likes

Operations Earnest Will and Prime Chance during the Iran/Iraq war have a decent claim to status as ‘Gulf War 0’, from the American perspective. I’m not sure if that’s what is being implied; but it’s plausible enough.

2 Likes

Please don’t give him any ideas!