Fast food executive complains that social media inflates young people's "self-importance," killing their willingness to work for free

Yeah, gee, worst recession in decades and she thinks that was the norm?

Also, if someone really only has a couple dozen extra emails when covering for you for 2 weeks, what the hell do you do?

20 Likes

This may be the best thing I have heard about social media yet.

2 Likes

The statute of limitations to file suit for wage and hour violations is generally four years. I wonder how long she’s been simmering on this rant and getting it bounced back by corporate counsel?

2 Likes

More like 2nd largest global ecconomic collapse in modern history.

You’d have to be pissing in jars in your safe room levels of rich and disconnected to not have noticed.

6 Likes

It’s already in the pipeline that goes to where he pulls his ideas from

3 Likes

What happened is fewer parents than previously are able to support their grown children while they work unpaid jobs, all so this entitled harpy/snowflake can think she’s doing society a favor.

2 Likes

Wow, it’s getting really hard to tell the difference between real news and The Onion.

Muffin Break Manager Sad People Won’t Work For Free.

“There’s just nobody walking in my door asking for unpaid work, nobody."

17 Likes

11 Likes

7 Likes

Indeed. The very idea of unpaid internships needs to die in a fire.

18 Likes

­

13 Likes

So let’s see -

Her job is so meaningless, it accounts for 10 emails in 2 weeks, but she’s the general manager in a giant corporation. As I always thought, upper management is filled with worthless feckless scum. Denoted by this quote:

““Not only am I not going to hire you, I will tell everybody about you as well. That’s the thing people don’t realise — whatever industry you’re in, it’s a small industry.””

blatantly admitting that she blacklists peope that she doesn’t like in the interview. Not just doesn’t hire them, but actively blacklists them.

Or here, where she admits she hired an unqualified person bc they kept begging - clearly feeding her need to feel important:

“One fellow I hired, he was underqualified, completely not the right person," … " After six months I hired him, because you can’t teach passion and enthusiasm. He worked for five or six years and moved on to a high role in another company.”"

Who, of course, left the company for better fields.

What a horrible human being.

Someone please put a guillotine .gif in this thread.

15 Likes

It is banned in Oregon, although I can’t be sure OTTOMH if there are any exceptions. But generally speaking, our labor dept (BOLI) cracks the whip on the practice. The main issue is that many people don’t know, and thus don’t even think to report it. I’ll se an ad for one every now and then at school but it’s pretty rare.

3 Likes

Holy crap!

Muffin Break has also previously fallen afoul of the Fair Work Ombudsman. In 2016 the Ombudsman found two Muffin Break workers were underpaid a total of over $46,000, and in 2014 it found a student who had worked at Muffin Break for almost two years had been underpaid almost $20,000.

18 Likes

What does she mean that I can’t have my first 20 coffees for free??!? I promise you, every coffee chain that has given me my first 20 coffees for free has always, always been rewarded with my loyalty and paid coffee purchases for some period after!

…just to check in from the Old Person files: there was no such thing as internships and unpaid work when I was strarting out (late 70s). It’s mostly said that the peak for working people was 1973, with inequality rising thereafter. But it started slow at first, we were not really aware of it through the 70s. It was the 80s, which we all associate with Reagan, Thatcher, and a thinkalike named Mulroney in Canada, when you felt those first chill winds of feudalism returning. One can only hope that her beloved 2009, at the depths of the financial crisis, was indeed the point it began to turn around.

12 Likes

There was a Muffin Break in Vancouver that closed a couple of years ago. I don’t think it was a franchise, but if it was that would make me sad. It was owned by a lovely woman who happened to employ one of our babysitters (for a reasonable wage). Every time I’d pass by the store with my kids, she’d wave us all in, give them both a big hug and a cookie. She couldn’t have been nicer. But, now the store shut down and it is a fast food joint.

2 Likes

The only time I want to hear “think of the exposure!” is if I’m about to leave the house and I’ve forgotten to wear pants

12 Likes

Muffin Break has form for wage-theft:

Muffin Break stores to reimburse underpaid Chinese student $20,000
https://www.fairwork.gov.au/about-us/news-and-media-releases/2014-media-releases/october-2014/20141010-muffin-break

Seems that Natalie Brennan, general manager of Muffin Break, doesn’t learn from previous mistakes.

18 Likes

Who would have thought that communicating more could lead to ad hoc labor organization.

6 Likes

Wondering also if there are interns still wanting to work for free, but realize that if they’re working for free, they can work almost anywhere. But working for a company that makes stodgy overpriced food that leads to diabetes and cardiovascular disease is not capturing the hearts and minds of young kids like it once did.

1 Like