Fastest-growing jobs in 2019: solar panel installer, stastistician, wind turbine techs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/05/fastest-growing-jobs-in-2019.html

2 Likes

Only somewhat related, but I have heard anti-green people argue that solar is bad because sometimes it is night. “My furnace runs fine at night, har har.”

As if this billion-dollar industry is run by people who never thought of that. Any of them.

11 Likes

Even in so-called “coal country” states like Virginia solar jobs now outnumber coal jobs. If Trump & Co. had any sense they’d seize on thay as a win (“See? We brought back jobs in the energy industry just like we promised!”) instead of putting all their energy and political capital into the doomed effort to save coal.

5 Likes

it’s settled. i can finally move to georgia to fulfill my dream of being a costume attendant.

6 Likes

What’s up with all the costume attendants, Georgia? Is this strange, am I a Philistine, or is this just because of Civil War reenactments?

EDIT: I didn’t intend to offend you, @dabeyc. Chase your dreams!

4 Likes

Maybe it means cosplay attendants? Because if they’re dressed as cute anime girls, I could be in favor of that. Particularly catgirls.

Maybe not if they’re dressed as Tetsuo from Akira.

3 Likes

Is that fastest growing in absolute or relative terms? A field growing at 200% say like statisticians but (for example) having only 2,000 positions etc.

7 Likes

My little state is doing it right!!! “Still machine operator and tender”

Bring on some good RI Whiskey please…

6 Likes

Mobile Home Installer? What’s to install? It’s mobile. It’s a home. Park it.

7 Likes

wind-dies-sun-sets-you-need-reliable-affordable-clean-coal-14823999

16 Likes

I’m guessing it’s because Georgia is now the film production capital of the world.

And yes, we all look fabulous!

9 Likes

Fixed that for 'ya. :slight_smile:

Coal mining in Virginia?, not so much anymore. You know, all that black face depleted the reserves early on. /s

3 Likes

A LOT of films are now shot in Georgia, largely due to generous tax incentives. Even Ant Man & the Wasp was mostly shot in Atlanta even though the movie was set in San Francisco.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the tie downs!

9 Likes

Are you suggesting that Georgia is full of left-wing anarchists?

4 Likes

As is so often the case, I don’t trust their stats. It’s not clear, but it appears they are determining “fastest growth” by looking at percentage growth instead of actual quantities, which means a small industry expanding quickly is ranked higher than a large industry which grows slowly, yet actually adds more jobs.

3 Likes

They are up-front about it: “we mapped out the top jobs by growth rate (as opposed to plentifulness).” And as you guess it’s not super useful data.

It’s lazy to pick the cute statistic and not include the meaningful one, I’m guessing the most meaningful one is less interesting. For example the # of costume attendants in GA is 280 with a 15% growth. Meanwhile there are few thousand new Accountant positions opening. [Short-Term Occupational Projections | Projections Central].

3 Likes

That would certainly require some attendants, though. Job growth!

I wasn’t aware of this. The more you know!

That settles it, I’m moving. The 50 degree increase in temperature also sounds nice.

3 Likes

This is why we need more statisticians…

9 Likes

It’s not strange. The film and television industry in Georgia is massive. It’s centered around Atlanta, a progressive majority-black city, known as the gay capital of the South. How you imagine Georgia to be, I do believe, is rather outdated. Places change, and Georgia has changed a lot over the past 50 years. That’s not to say there aren’t Civil War re-enactments in Georgia (though I never saw any evidence of their existence while I lived there), but they occur in every state (even Hawaii).

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/us/atlanta-emerges-as-a-center-of-black-entertainment.html

3 Likes