FBI conducts botched midnight mock raid at Boston hotel, handcuffing pilot for an hour

Or were they mocking those?

Possibly his lawyer told him that he will hold stronger cards now by not talking (yet). Or, as a pilot who deals with federal agencies, he thought it better not to go publicly up against one.

2 Likes

… it really shouldn’t have taken him more than two seconds to say “I want a lawyer” :confused:

2 Likes

Isn’t that what the Dropkick Murphys are for, tho?

1 Like

Update: Apparently it was a US Army Special Operations “seize and torture” exercise, with FBI help for extra botching.

Obviously this makes the scenario even worse for the poor pilot who got the enhanced room service in the bathtub.

“First and foremost, we’d like to extend our deepest apologies to the individual who was affected by the training exercise,” said Lt. Col. Mike Burns.

5 Likes

Someone who is asleep, and likely disoriented? Sure, one needs to be careful when traveling, but this is just victim blaming. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Everyone has a theory for how they are too smart to fall for [whatever].

Hotel management must have been informed, and probably provided a master room card. Or, being Special Operations, the intruders may have had their own methods for defeating the lock.

4 Likes

“Must have” been informed? Aren’t you a starry-eyed optimist!

2 Likes

I try every day. :star_struck:

But really, if the hotel wasn’t informed and a guest or staff reported a heavily-armed gang stomping all over the hallways, management would have called the police and we could finally answer the question of whether a SWAT team could beat a Special Ops unit.

The owners of the Revere hotel would be rightfully upset about the effect of midnight gun battles on their 4.5 star rating, and all the organizations involved would have to answer to Corporate America.

3 Likes

That may be but he really should get his own attorney. The airline has its own best interests in mind, not his. They want, I would assume, a good relationship with the FBI, and don’t really want to antagonize them.

2 Likes

Yeah…considering they were conducting a training exercise simulating interrogating a suspect in a hotel bathroom, I’m guessing protecting 4th and 5th Amendment rights weren’t their top priority.

3 Likes

And your taxpayer dollars funding a 10 million dollar settlement to the man who was wrongly arrested, then interrogated in a fucking shower.

I always thought that the Invisible Hand of Capitalism™ would eventually fix our law enforcement “problems”… it costs us A LOT of money each time the state settles with a family in a wrongful death lawsuit. I mean, it’s probably in the billions by now.

1 Like

No probably about it.

5 Likes

… that’s just “the cost of doing business” … to us

and if legislators finally decided to do something about it, it would be a lot easier to go back to rex non potest peccare than to reform the police :crown:

1 Like

There obviously won’t be any real investigation, but AFAIK outside of MPs, soldiers don’t have any authority to arrest anyone (see the Posse Comitatus Act) or the corresponding qualified immunity.

Nightingale.

My unit did an exercise with the FBI and various other agencies back in 2009. In the scenario radioactive materials were hidden on a vessel in the port of Milwaukee. As my search teams swept the vessel they came upon an old man in one cabin, clearly surprised, taking a dump in his bathroom. We backed away and carried on. Turns out my team had wandered into an area that was out of play.

During the after-action review the FBI were mansplaining all the things we we should have done in a real scenario, how we would have detained the guy (we wouldn’t, we had no authority) and other nonsense words. I told him “dude, we got disoriented and it was just an old man taking a dump”. Now I wonder whether the feds would have preferred waterboarding the guy

4 Likes

That’s a leading question. You know perfectly well nobody is perfectly safe.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.