FBI paid more than $1.3m to hack San Bernadino iPhone

It was obviously less about finding what was under the rock than: “Damn it! We can’t turn over that rock!”

4 Likes

Ah, the George Mallory school of thought.

1 Like

Careful there, I’m partial to climbing metaphors. :wink: More about access than content was what I meant.

2 Likes

it worries me a little that we don’t know who they paid.

ooops. we actually just gave a million dollars to a terrorist organization. sorry about that.

5 Likes

And what if they were linked to terrorists? Hey, that “gunwalking” thing works with money too – amiright?
Clever FBI…

1 Like

Phew, I always thought it was about me.

1 Like

Is it just me that finds it unnecessary and pretty uncouth for Corney to have introduced the matter of his own salary into this? What does it have to do with anything? Why is ‘seven and a bit years of my salary’ a useful way to describe how much the FBI paid? Why not ‘well over a million’ or ‘less than $1.5m’?

Or how about ‘much less than we would have ended up paying our lawyers if we’d taken this to court’?

I’m just catching up here, but let me know if I’ve got it right:

• hackers volunteer their own time and energy to expose security flaws that affect millions of people = CRIMINALS
  • hackers crack crucial privacy schemes that protect millions of people = CONTRACTORS
10 Likes

1.3m seems pretty reasonable, actually.

[quote=“HMSGoose, post:28, topic:77039, full:true”]I’m just catching up here, but let me know if I’ve got it right:

• hackers volunteer their own time and energy to expose security flaws that affect millions of people = CRIMINALS
  • hackers crack crucial privacy schemes that protect millions of people = CONTRACTORS[/quote]

Sure, no problem! You have it wrong.

In terms of successfully hacking a phone, maybe. In terms of successfully hacking this phone, probably not. But that’s not on the folks hired to do the hacking.

That’s on the FBI for wasting 1.3 million to hack a phone they were fairly confident had nothing new on it. :laughing:

Like if you pay me a thousand bucks to cover your front lawn in yard gnomes. I might do an excellent adequate job at it but …

Maybe we should take 1.3 million out of the FBI’s budget for FY 2017. :sweat:

1 Like

$1000 of garden gnomes…

1 Like

Seems pretty clear the FBI are the bad guys in this, but do they even realize that?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.