FBI paid more than $1.3m to hack San Bernadino iPhone

[Read the post]

3 Likes

“Federal authorities have not publicly revealed who helped the FBI unlock the San Bernardino iPhone…”

But it was probably Station; he’s got the skills for that kind of gig.

10 Likes

“But it was, in my view, worth it”

If it’s not your money, any price is worth it.

24 Likes

the FBI has found no links to foreign terrorists on the phone . . . The phone ultimately yielded no
useful information.

“But it was, in my view, worth it,” FBI director James Comey said of (the 1.3M) cost to access the phone’s data.

In a related story, the FBI is spending 1.3 million dollars to establish whether Bigfoot is in the country legally, 1.8 million dollars to find out what was in Marsellus Wallace’s briefcase, and 2.4 million dollars to determine who Carly Simon thinks is so vain.

It is, in my view, worth it,” said FBI director James Comey.

21 Likes

Paid. I apologize in advance for being a grammar nazi, Mea Culpa

4 Likes

10 Likes

This is also a good indicator of exactly where the fbi’s technology is at: late 90’s to early 2000’s.

2 Likes

The only thing I’m sorry about is that I didn’t get here sooner: paid vs payed.

If it was the rope that the FBI used to hang themselves, then payed might be apt.

4 Likes

You know… those last two might just be worth it. Pretty sure it was James Taylor, but you never know.

2 Likes

Carly’s lament of “you’re so vain” was reputedly a reference to Warren Beatty.

2 Likes

O snap!

1 Like

Mr Comey continues the tradition of crackerjack FBI management that also financed 2 years of investigating the lyrics of Louie Louie by the Kingsmen.

And just as valuable too. You stay classy Mr G Man.

6 Likes

Are they American? Do they have to pay taxes on it? If so it is probably more like $.7 million. The rest goes back to the feds.

2 Likes

I always thought it was about Mick Jagger.

1 Like

James Taylor was in Marsellus Wallace’s briefcase? I was not expecting that twist.

8 Likes

3 Likes

I bet the suspects would have unlocked the phone themselves for half that!

2 Likes

I bet a dedicated group of Hackers could get up to a lot of mischief with that kind of scratch.

4 Likes

Our tax dollars at work and as predicted, nothing of substance was found.

2 Likes

Past the paywall…

1 Like