FBI raids the office of Trump's longtime lawyer Michael Cohen

Ah, but this is something he can’t make go away with a federal pardon

6 Likes

He can’t indict Trump, if the fake news MSM is correct.

My understanding is that no one is actually sure if a sitting President can be charged with a crime since no one has actually tried it before.

5 Likes

15 Likes

I’m not worried about a mushroom cloud, but I am wondering about an eviction notice.

The Moose Squirrel Media?

tumblr_nl6mpbycvP1u8vp5eo1_250

4 Likes

5 Likes

I dunno man. When I heard this on the radio I exclaimed “Holy Fuck!”. I’m reliably told by legal and law enforcement types that you don’t generally get a search warrant on a lawyer in these sorts of circumstance without something serious to back it up.

Radio news said that among the items seized were privileged communications between Cohen and “a client” (presumably Trump). And you don’t get clearance to look at that kind of shit without some serious shit to back it up. Courts don’t just rubber stamp this kind of a shit.

From my understanding of it the generally held theory. Is you can’t indict/charge/prosecute a sitting president. For various reasons. But like you said its never really been tried. So neither position is tested in court and there isn’t a clear direct legal precedent on it. But trying to do so involves first proving you’re allowed to, and since the generally accepted theory is you can’t. Its sort of an uphill battle. And an unreliable way to go after him.

The President isn’t immune to prosecution though. He’s criminally liable for everything he’s done before, during, or after his presidency. He just (probably) needs to be removed from office first.

Probably.

8 Likes

I tend to agree with the people who believe the barriers are more political in nature than legal in nature.

There’s the old self-help faux wisdom chestnut “whether you think you can, or you think you can’t… you’re right!” Except in this case replace “you” with “congress.”

4 Likes

Ish.

And PR related.

But in this case you would very much need to convince a bunch of judges in court. Charge him he’s going to file to dismiss based on the long, well laid out, justification for the theory that you can’t. You’ve got to counter with a less robust existing argument for why you can. Who ever loses will appeal. Repeat at the next level of the court. On up to the Supreme Court.

At any given point a given court or judge may be operating more based on a politics than on the law. But frankly I don’t like the odds of our current supreme court shaking things up on that front.

2 Likes

Trump and Cohen are the kinds of people you know are just rife with all kinds of corruption and white-collar crime. They’ve just managed to get away with it for years because they’re insanely wealthy and make enough money through legitimate means that the dirty stuff gets lost in the shuffle.

It will be a good day for the US if and when all their shit is revealed.

9 Likes

Hello, Spocko.

Haven’t seen your ears around here for a while.

:vulcan_salute:

3 Likes

All the piecs matter…

Especially when the POTUS is a POS.

4 Likes

This reads like the Twitter equivalent of an incompetent mafia errand boy desperately begging his boss for help from a prison pay phone while insisting that he ain’t no rat.

7 Likes

It makes me wonder if sometime not to far off whether we might see them executing a no knock warrant at the White House.

1 Like

You’re good at this.

That won’t happen. As @Ryuthrowsstuff pointed out, breaching lawyer-client confidentiality is serious business. Whatever search warrant they got would have to have been laser-narrow, and they can’t turn it into a fishing expedition. If they find stuff unrelated to the search warrant, they’ll just have to sigh and hand it back.

5 Likes

Hi. I’ve been busy trying to block humans with raging emotions from using guns as the answer to their violence problems.

10 Likes

BINGO! Give the man a chocolate bar!
(I was going to say cigar, but I wouldn’t want one and maybe you wouldn’t either. And I don’t know your gender. )
But yep, you spotted it.

2 Likes

The best way to avoid disaster for that Korea Summit is if everyone “kiddie tables” Trump. China has already pledged to protect North Korea. Military action is so far off the table it is in a different continent. Like it or not, we will be dealing with a nuclear North Korea. Kim Jong Un has no incentive to disarm because it buys his regime security.

2 Likes