Trump's lawyer Cohen trying to block information found in FBI raid with a restraining order

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/13/trumps-lawyer-cohen-trying-b.html

6 Likes

US District Court on Friday the 13th? No thanks.

9 Likes

That is not how US law works.

6 Likes

Come on BoingBoing… the ‘Got Something to Hide’ tag couldn’t be more hypocritical.

Cory and Rob writes hundreds of posts about how privacy and freedom from government intrusion are fundamental rights and that wanting to protect information does not imply guilt on anyone’s part, then Carla comes straight out and pisses all over it just because the subject is from the other camp.

EDIT: Still haven’t found the initial post where Cory introduced me to the weakness of the “if you’ve got nothing to hide” fallacy, but I found one where Rob quotes Snowden on matters of privacy:

5 Likes

There’s a recursive quality to Cohen’s behavior which reminds me of this bit from the Simpsons:

3 Likes

I understand that Cohen is doing everything he can to keep his client out of jail. But, how many frivolous and bogus claims can you make as a lawyer before they slap your wrist?

3 Likes

Given the many legal hurdles in the case of Cohen… it looks like there’s a pretty strong reason for believing that Cohen has something to hide.

Renato Mariotti (former federal prosecutor): “Well, for any warrants, prosecutors have to obtain evidence that shows that there was a good reason to believe a crime occurred and that evidence of that crime was at the place that they’re searching. So in this case, they had to show that a crime had been committed. In this case, there was [sic] reports by The Washington Post that it was bank fraud and campaign finance violations. And then they had to show a judge that evidence of that crime was that [sic] Michael Cohen’s office.”

7 Likes

I know I need to read up on this, but do we know what this raid is about? Is it something Cohen did, or Trump? Is it related to Russia or Stormy?

As far as I can glean, so far we have no idea.

5 Likes

“I will make sure that you and I meet one day while we’re in the courthouse. And I will take you for every penny you still don’t have. And I will come after your Daily Beast and everybody else that you possibly know,” Cohen told the website. “So I’m warning you, tread very fucking lightly, because what I’m going to do to you is going to be fucking disgusting. You understand me?”

He’s such a fucking tough guy why doesn’t he just sue the FBI?

8 Likes

Pretty sure they wouldn’t use this many resources in pursuit of an illicit affair. That’s only a serious infraction for Clintons. It’s probably not the payoff either, which was a campaign finance violation, but still small potatoes.

My bet’s on money laundering. Billions have flowed through TrumpCo.

I stand corrected:

The warrant, authorized by a federal judge and executed by FBI agents on behalf of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, covered “all documents, including emails between Mr. Cohen and Mr. Trump, related to Mr. Cohen’s efforts to suppress negative publicity ahead of the 2016 election.”

Sounds pretty Stormy to me.

5 Likes

I don’t think for a moment that suing the FBI hasn’t crossed his mind.

So far, it’s about **hush money paid to Stormy. Please see my post above.

** bank fraud and campaign finance violations

6 Likes

And then the Deputy Attorney General signed off on it. There’s no question that this was lawful and, as you point out, would not have occurred unless there was a hell of a lot more than baseline probable cause.

5 Likes

Yep. This could be a slam dunk and we’re now just waiting for the scoreboard to reflect it.

3 Likes

I think we can all understand the difference between freedom from government intrusion through warrantless and broad surveillance and information legally obtained via a narrowly focused and properly executed warrant.

24 Likes

This guy is a scumbag of the first order. I don’t care who’s “side” he’s on. Anyone who has to record conversations and store them digitally on his computer so he can use them later is lower than pond scum.

From years of watching copyright and patent lawyers nakedly abuse the judicial system with no repercussions, the answer is a lot. Hell, it took decades to get Jack Thompson disbarred and he was a flagrant nutcase.

1 Like

I think at this point he is probably trying to keep himself out of jail and so wrist slaps aren’t of interest to him.

4 Likes

Cohen’s argument is “a dead loser”

From what I read about the guy and his legal arguments, he must be used to that. Seems like he’s largely been successful by using thug tactics that didn’t get legally challenged.

5 Likes