FCC closed due to government shutdown, Ajit Pai won't be at CES

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/03/fcc-closed-due-to-government-s.html

1 Like

Ajit Pai won’t be at CES?

Oh no! How will we ever get by?

4 Likes

Does this mean that Pai isn’t getting paid, though?

3 Likes

Of course not. I very much doubt he would agree to this job if there was any possibility he wouldn’t get paid at any point.

You don’t get to be a multimillionaire by letting whoever you work for’s bankruptcy (or your own) stop money from coming in.

5 Likes

I know; it was some wishful thinking…

3 Likes

FCC has essential functions? I guess somebody has to pedal the bike that runs the generator that makes the Professor’s coconut radio work…

4 Likes

Always look on the bright side of life! (whistles)
Always look on the light side of life!
If life seems jolly rotten
there’s something you’ve forgotten
and that’s to laugh and smile and dance and sing

(whistles!)

3 Likes

So we can pro-rate our taxes by the number of shutdown days, right?

12 Likes

My first thought is, “wow, CES is still a thing?”

3 Likes

If the FCC is closed for business does that mean that any local newscaster could do their own rendition of George Carlin’s “Seven words you can never say on television” routine?

7 Likes

tenor

1 Like

Ajit Pai will never be at CES. He has to be one of the, if not the most hated man in the industry.

3 Likes

Eh. People talk trash about the FCC and when it comes to censorship rightfully so.

But the consensus among radio engineers when I worked for a wireless ISP out of college was roughly, “The Lord Giveth, and He Taketh Away”. And ultimately they could see The Plan and how the bullshit regs were to keep life good for everyone (and keep everyone honest).

This is in the context of radio spectrum though. And radio engineers are some fucking weird dudes.

3 Likes

Well, maybe not the official govt. paycheck.

I’m sure that sweet sweet telecom payola is continuing to flow.

3 Likes

QRZ

1 Like

I should hope the

are considered essential services.

3 Likes

The FCC is closed? Can we start dropping F-Bombs on the air?

Seriously if I was Colbert or Fallon my opening monologue would be: “Did you hear the FCC is closed due to the government shut down? Well fuck, what a God damn shame.”

The fine would be worth it.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.