FDA approves Pfizer's covid vaccine

Originally published at: FDA approves Pfizer's covid vaccine | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Well, there you go then,. Pandemic over–people will be lining up to get the jab(s).

26 Likes

I can see the conspiracy theorists now. “Commie-narty?? I TOLD you it was a communist plot!”

22 Likes

Does this mean that the nanochips are out of beta?

22 Likes

1 2 3 reich wingers heads explode.

nuclear explosion GIF

11 Likes

Yeah, no. I’d love to believe it, but we all know that “I’m concerned about an experimental vaccine” was always an excuse. They’ll find another one.

39 Likes

Also the name is somehow very hard to parse (for me). Where does one pause?

• Co Mir Naty
  • Com Irn Aty

• ?!
9 Likes

8 Likes

What does the Food and Drug Administration know about things you put in your body? They don’t even know about healing crystals or homeopathy. (Big /S)

10 Likes

Let me just go ahead and predict the response from anti-vaxxers:

tenor

48 Likes

I can see the conspiracy theorists now. “Commie-narty?? I TOLD you it was a communist plot!”

Shurely Commie-Nazi, for added extra levels of conspiracy…

4 Likes

I had an interesting conversation this weekend with a respiratory therapist at a nearby hospital. I asked her how things are going with her COVID patients and she said “When we had a COVID surge last year it was mostly older people who were kind and willing to do whatever was necessary to get better. The current COVID patients are mostly middle-aged people who are unvaccinated and reluctant to accept medical advice. Many of them are rude to the hospital staff and insist that they aren’t really that sick.” She said staff are getting burned out and the abuse from some of the patients only makes things worse.

33 Likes

Maybe this will get some of the skeptical to get vaccinated. But probably won’t matter to many.

9 Likes

comirnaty --[wiggly air wand]–> “acronym it”
or otherwise: community, immunity, mRNA and COVID

(says one who was once at a new pharmaceutical naming meeting. it was insane and moronic …so i suggested insanic. needless to say the marketing folks rejected that)

9 Likes

I’m not a big fan of the term “fully-approved,” since it was already released for emergency use and the only change is that now it is released for general use. What is the practical difference? All it means is that Pfizer can now market the vaccine. That’s it. It has been approved since December.

11 Likes

I would guess it’s meant to evoke Covid and mRNA. Not sure about the ty.

Even writing that makes me feel dirty, like trying to do a cryptic crossword.

Sorry, see @theophrastus got in first and yes, immunity or something would be a good bet on the ugly bodge of a name.

4 Likes

What anti-vaxxers hear:

larsoncats

13 Likes

*BioNTech’s Covid vaccine

I will die on that hill.

Also, it has had the name Comirnaty for a long time. That’s certainly what’s on my vaccine certificate which was written long before this approval.

ETA: I will also accept BioNTech/Pfizer or Pfizer/BioNTech but don’t erase those that developed the vaccine in favour of those that sell it in some markets

15 Likes

I’ve been to a few of them as well over my 20+ years in the industry. It’s always painful to watch uncreative people trying to be creative. Also, the layers of ‘does the drug name sound like anything in another language’ and ‘when it’s written down with sloppy handwriting could it look like the name of another drug’ add extra fun.

I’ve always liked the naming process best when it’s crowd sourced to the entire company via a contest.

8 Likes

Doesn’t the removal from emergency use to fully approved open the door to allow more mandates of vaccination through government, schools or business? I thought a lot of state governors used the emergency use to cover their implementation of death cult policies?

7 Likes