Federal court tells FBI: go ahead and torture Americans, but do it outside the U.S

[Read the post]

1 Like

The appeals court said the fact that Meshal is a U.S. citizen does not outweigh the court’s reluctance to interfere with matters of national security.

It’s actually your damn job. Nowhere in the constitution does it say that the federal courts instantaneously cease to have authority on matters as vague as “national security.” The exception for suspension of the writ of habeus corpus doesn’t even begin to encompass the range of cases the courts are “reluctant” to engage.

10 Likes

By this logic murder would be legal so long as it was outside the borders of your country. If the laws your government follow end at the door what does it say about the master of the house?

3 Likes

Wait…couldn’t they file a suit under Rico? Presumably, some of the decisions to torture were made in the US.

From Wikipedia:
“The RICO Act focuses specifically on racketeering, and it allows the leaders of a syndicate to be tried for the crimes which they ordered others to do or assisted them in doing, closing a perceived loophole that allowed a person who instructed someone else to, for example, murder, to be exempt from the trial because he did not actually commit the crime personally.[1]”

Just like FIFA is an international org and they were taken down internationally.

4 Likes

No surprise; we knew this already. The Obama administration has previously legalized the assassination of US citizens without due process just because they happened to be in the Middle East. And we are powerless to do anything about it.

3 Likes

The usual US gov. double standards we’re used to. In this case US law doesn’t extend beyond it’s border while in Dotcoms case US prosecutors argue that US law=world law.

4 Likes

seems to me that the 4th amendment says “no person” and never qualifies the location. But, I suppose this court has some secret ruling on hand that says we are in a time of danger meaning we are all subject to arrest and murder without due process. Either that or they are wrong.

2 Likes

Not just wrong, but stupid, evil, and ugly besides.

3 Likes

You’re not powerless.

Vote.

Just show up and vote. Get everyone you know who can vote out to vote. It doesn’t even matter who or what they’ll vote for. It doesn’t matter if your preferred candidate wins or not.

But if voter participation is high, politicians are going to have to take you seriously and stop passing laws like you don’t matter.

1 Like

Yeah, I am.

I believe in democracy. I vote. I donate. I canvas. I’ve been arrested for protesting (Occupy San Diego; someday when that case is finally resolved, I’ll post about it.)

Yet there is nothing I can do to prevent the dumbshit I voted for, and for whom I had such high hopes, from pissing all over the Constitution.

In the particular case of extrajudicial assassinations, there is no law-- it would be found unconstitutional in a second-- so the bastards just make up their own, and no one has standing to take legal action against them.

6 Likes

No, but buy/smoke a Romeo y Julieta in another country, and you’re fair game.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.