Federal judge strikes down Texas's ban on drag shows

Originally published at: Federal judge strikes down Texas's ban on drag shows | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I’ve yet to hear or read any articulation on how or why drag performances harm children. Moreover, it’s not clear to me how a child would be exposed to a drag performance without their parent’s permission and transportation to such a performance. :face_with_monocle:

I suppose you don’t need facts when your true agenda is genocide.

23 Likes

This ruling is one of the reasons the fascists are going to go hard on consolidating power from the top down the next time they get it. Now that they feel they can be this open in expressing their hate and bigotry their next step is to make sure they can’t be contradicted or reversed.

18 Likes

Its a well established fact that based on reports/incidents going back decades that children are 100,000,000X more likely to be endangered in the presence of clergy, youth ministers and Republican political figures than at a drag show

18 Likes

groooooooooooming!!!

1 Like

I think Dan Savage had a saying that went something like “if children were sexually assaulted by clowns as frequently as they are sexually assaulted by clergy then it would be illegal to take your kids to the circus.”

20 Likes

Which Marvel film is that picture from?

3 Likes

Pissant man

2 Likes

When you phrase it like the TX law did, you could use it to ban trans people performing in orchestras, musical groups, stage plays, even giving public speeches. It is a backdoor way to erase trans existence in the public sphere.

14 Likes

Yup. Genocide isn’t just murdering people, it includes erasing the targeted group’s culture and history.

13 Likes

U.S. District Judge David Hittner, who was nominated by Republican President Ronald Reagan

Blimey, that’s a long time ago.

8 Likes

I’m going to assume the appointment was in 1988 and the judge was younger than 30. I’m also going to assume the judge is sticking around until a semblance of sanity returns to politics in the US. :crossed_fingers:

10 Likes

Live long and prosper, Judge David Hittner :vulcan_salute:

10 Likes

There is an epidemic of three kids in a trench coat sneaking into drag shows and singing along to ABBA and The Weather Girls.songs.

7 Likes

Reading comments, I’m reminded of my more conservative friend who “doesn’t have a problem with gays or lesbian people” (this opinion comes out around the time of pride month parade or events in our town) but he “Doesn’t like them shoving it (their existence I guess?) in your face”

I believe the next time he brings up such a poorly thought out opinion i will ask him if he has a similar problem with being made aware of heterosexuality being in existence. (he does claim that he doesn’t like to see a het couple making out publicly, but that goal post is far distance from what he claims he doesn’t like.)

free to ignore complaining about ex-friends, just bitterness on my part

I’m pretty much done with that friend circle anyways, pointing out their transphobia has already earned me de-friendings and no further contact from two friendships of 20y. They can take their bigotry and stew in their miserable life without me.

13 Likes

Many of whom also seem to wear some variation on ‘drag’ costuming. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

That is a simply lovely outfit. Good job Rob and Midjourney.

It makes me almost forget the clip I saw of him at the last debate bragging, in his awkward robot way, that he has been “sleeping with a teacher for the past 30 years.” :face_vomiting:

5 Likes

Yet Another Relevant Carlin Quote:

“When Jesus said 'suffer the children come unto me, that’s not what he was talking about!”

8 Likes

You, sadly, forgot Boy Scout leaders as well.

3 Likes

Rainbow_Raider

3 Likes