Federal judge: Trump violates the Constitution when blocking Twitter users

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/23/federal-judge-trump-violates.html

5 Likes

There you go 45. Fixed it for you.

9 Likes

Now he is the only user who can’t block. He’s got a block-block.

Now, interesting: what happens if twitter blocks users who violate the TOS insulting and threatening the orange one?

4 Likes

Trump to Federal Judge: Drop dead.

1 Like

So it actually take Twitter for a judge to call out trump on violating the Consitution? This is what’s wrong with this fucked up country.

15 Likes

He is not the first public official to be taken to court for this. He is merely the highest up.

2 Likes

Will the people he blocked receive damages?

4 Likes

I feel it in my bones that’s not the only way in which he violates the Constitution, but I suppose it’s a start.

Here’s to many more judicial rulings to come.

5 Likes

He blocked me and all I did was call him a jerk. The jerk.

10 Likes

I hope so. And I hope it’s on the order of a Billion dollars, so he has to fess up to not being worth that much.

4 Likes

Who’s there?

12 Likes

Trump violates Truth and Common Human Decency when using Twitter.

3 Likes

This ruling will, of course, have absolutely no effect whatsoever, even if democrats take over the house and senate this fall, because Trump doesn’t think rules apply to him. And so far, he’s been right. All it takes is one wannabe oligarch to point reveal all the ways in which your government system is sadly dysfunctional or lacks vitally necessary protections to ensure that lawlessness does not become the law of the land.

6 Likes

The effect of the ruling will be the addition of two articles to the impeachment proceedings:

• Violating the first amendment protections of U.S. citizens by blocking them on Twitter, where he conducts official presidential business.
  • Failure to obey the ruling of U.S. Federal Courts.
2 Likes

You assume there will be impeachment proceedings. Given the invertebrate nature of the Democratic party and the “we don’t care if he hires Russian spies disguised as sex workers to piss on the constitution as long as we get our tax cuts” nature of the Republican party, I consider this highly unlikely.

6 Likes

This is the path to closing his account, from the provider side.

3 Likes

“This case requires us to consider whether a public official (may block a person from responding to) a twitter account…”

The judge said “a public official,” not limited in any way as to what type of public official. Therefore, anybody who’s ever been blocked by anybody who’s a public official, have at it.

Personally, my local municipal water board will by Christ hear from me about the Bilderbergers from now until approximately the end of time. And also, my water bill is too high. And the Trilateral Commission.

3 Likes

Check out the letters of Lazlo Toth (Don Novello) to see how it’s done with wit and fun.

He’s got skin so thin we ought to study it in material science labs.

6 Likes

“We’re not spineless cowards, we’re just too weak and scared to stop him.”