FedEx still begging suckers to install Flash for online print orders

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/28/fedex-still-begging-suckers-to.html

4 Likes

safari asks if you want flash now…

1 Like

Pandora, the music streaming service, up until recently only supported Flash. I checked just now and seems like they just recently made the switch to HTML. Thank fucking god. I haven’t been able to use it on a browser for a few years.

I think Amazon Music still will only stream via Flash though (besides their phone app). I checked last month i think and it was a no go. Edit: Oh hey, looks like they just recently made the switch as well.

3 Likes

Good thing I use UPS then. They use HTML and it works fine.

I think Amazon Prime Video just recently got off of Silverlight.

I haven’t had a need to run it on my desktop since my PS4 will stream Amazon Video but good to know they’ve moved away from that too.

1 Like

Let’s go full-bore irony:

Bank of America offers a service called “ShopSafe” that allows users to safeguard their credit card info by creating a single-use throwaway credit card number.

The catch? You’re NOT allowed to safeguard your computer (and by extension, your whole damned B of A account), because the service is Flash-only.

5 Likes

Why would they use Flash for such a dry purpose?

FedEx also still makes you use Java to print shipping labels with a thermal printer.

2 Likes

I picked up a Firestick recently and I know Sliver Light won’t run on that. Pretty sure that’s why they switched away.

I ran into this last month. FedEx is the closest print center in walking distance, so I wound up taking a walk down there with a thumb drive.

1 Like

If only there were some kind of simple way to change hundreds of thousands of lines of inefficient legacy code*…

(*I have no direct evidence of the amount of code, but I would bet a nickel I’m right)

1 Like

There is something seriously wrong with code that needs a new patch every week.

2 Likes

I think Andrea was talking about their printing service, formerly known as Kinkos; unless you have UPS stores that do printing and don’t seem like fronts for drug smugglers.

(Last time I went to a UPS store for a non-amazon return they could only take cash because the card readers were down, or so they said)

1 Like

Aha! Someone at the library makerspace mentioned that FedEx did 3D printing. If they own Kinkos, that would make more sense.

2 Likes

Ah, got it. I was thinking the website itself. My bad

And this is an example of the brand confusion they brought upon themselves by getting rid of the Kinkos name.

1 Like

Yeah, Barclays has Flash on its online banking site as well.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.