Feds admit they used secret anti-terror mass surveillance tool to catch an undocumented waiter

The point is the “slippery slope”. First Stingrays are just for terrorists. Then for drug smugglers. Then for violent crimes. Then for illegal immigrants. Then for shoplifters. Then for anyone that the people in power feel like going after. Seriously, look up Martin Niemöller.

I agree with deporting this mulitple-crime dumbass, but stuff this minor doesn’t deserve stingray permission. They could and should have located him via a phone company warrant.

7 Likes

The main problem with stingrays is that they don’t “hunt” anything or anyone in particular. They grab everything, and then the intel networks receiving the data match it up with whatever they’re looking for. Even if there’s no match, they’ll keep it for later to let systems sift through it looking for patterns. (After all, everyone is within five degrees of separation from a terrorist.)

6 Likes

If you know where you are, THEY know where you are.

At this point I am worried about organized crime collecting information on citizens rather than the feds. That is unless the feds rollover for Trump.

But that is just at this point. Later this morning I’ll be worrying about baby elephants to the same effect.

Agreed - once the tech can be used to afflict the powerful, then and only then will we see restrictions placed on its use

It’s not even that good. It is just going to wind up being used to track the activities of the estranged spouses and feud targets of LEOs and Officials.

Ya know, when ya wanna develop incredibly invasive, global, questionable technology… ya gotta start small.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.