Feedback on vertical timeline

Overall, I’m ok with it. I especially like the fact that I can Reply to the Topic anywhere along the way which works pretty well with my flow for reading a new thread. Slightly decreases the likelihood that I will send a response to just one person when I’m replying to several quotes at once.

Being able to scroll the thread with the slider? Eh.

Boo. I was using that.

Yay. Though what’s the likelihood I’m going to remember the ? to remember the #. :laughing:

I did though I’d been guessing at them. Some are less useful than others but the j / k / l ones are life.

4 Likes

Can I click somewhere on it to make it go away? Distracting how the blue bar moves down while text I"m reading goes up…

4 Likes

Sorry, I should have mentioned that; I’ve forced my Android Firefox into permanent desktop mode with an about:config hack. I tend to jump among devices, and remembering the UI and controls for the mobile mode vs desktop mode is jarring.

Anyway, no biggie. I’m spending more time here lately than I can afford, so I’ll just back it off a bit. No harm, no foul.

Too much dead space. Especially right of the scroll bar.

Can I get some columns back?

5 Likes

exactly what I wanted to post. The block is near my visual focus when reading while slowly scrolling down. It drowns everything and makes it harder to read.

4 Likes

God@Codinghorror, make it stop! Please provide an option to turn this thing off.

This is not improving discussion. This is making the site much more aggravating to use on desktop.

2 Likes

Size your browser narrow enough and you will get the mobile progress bar. Alternately, run a local browser CSS override extension, and hide the div?

C’mon, man. I have mad respect for you and I love the work you’ve done on Discourse. I think it’s one of the finest message boards out there. That said this just strikes me as completely missing the points raised by many of us in this thread…

There’s numerous replies to this thread of people complaining about the exact same things: it’s distracting and it makes the view box too narrow.

I like the idea of the timeline, I just don’t like the execution. One of the metrics you like to cite for feature requests is “does it improve discussion”, and for this I would give an emphatic no. When you have wonderful mutants like @RatMan deciding to take a break I’d say that’s a net negative for discussion here.

2 Likes

The actual post width has not changed one pixel; what did change is how the right gutter works.

I am sorry about @ratman’s Firefox Android issue but it is a double whammy: 1) we only test on the official browsers for each mobile platform, and 2) we do not test a forced desktop layout on mobile.

It would be easier if the problem reproed on desktop Firefox but mobile Firefox is its own kind of quirky there…

2 Likes

Interesting. This tells me that the aesthetic change makes things feel narrower which also isn’t good. Either way giving the option to turn this off and/or changing the design to make it less distracting would be welcome to many of us.

5 Likes

This isn’t an unreasonably wide browser window, but Discourse is wasting 25-30% of it.

Putting the scroll bar where you have makes it really, really obvious. It just looks daft.

5 Likes

I agree that when there is extra width available we could use CSS media queries to give it a bit more room and space it out more. @eviltrout can you have a peek at that?

edit: OK, the first phase of CSS width media query extra width is in; we’re adding a third “step” soon as well.

4 Likes

It can be pretty distracting, especially having the scroll bar for the browser right next to it sliding at a different speed. It also seems to slow down the smooth scrollwheel scrolling in my browser (although it’s already much better than this morning!)

3 Likes

I like it well enough on a desktop, but not so much on my tablet.

On my ipad, I sit with it in landscape position, and scroll using my right thumb. As I attempt to scroll, I seem to be selecting posts, whichever is to the left of the place I touch. To be clear, I touch to the right of the dot/vertical timeline, but the whole post is selected with the Copy/Cut option appearing.

This is small potatoes, I know, but I do find it frustrating to not be able to comfortably scroll like I do on many sites.

1 Like

I think this really is what makes it so distracting. As I scroll through the page I see this other unexpected bright blue “thing” moving at a different speed than everything else.

Just thinking about it makes me cringe.

5 Likes

Maybe the gutter colors are too bright and should be reduced in intensity? We do have the other lighter progress bar blue to choose from.

For example.

3 Likes

Spaces, not tabs. Vim, not emacs.

3 Likes

Oh dear! Thanks for your kind words, but that’s not a battle that need to be fought on my account. This is basically a non-issue. I could fix it in a couple of different ways, but neither of them is particularly palatable to me. That said, I’m glad you enjoy my presence, and I’m not going anywhere, I’m just dialing it down a little here.

I’ve mentioned before in a couple of other threads that I’m finding it impossible to keep up here due to the increased traffic and decreased time I have got available. This is not a BB or Discourse issue; it’s purely a RatMan problem. Real life sometimes intrudes. I’m just spread too thinly right at the moment, and something has to give. I apologize if I gave the impression that I’m basing an entirely personal decision on a software change. I’m not-- it’s just the impetus to make a change that I need to make anyway.

On the one hand, the way I use BBS is pretty uncommon, and I can understand why they don’t want to troubleshoot it. But the only thing that’s keeping me a Regular here is the ability to browse and like messages in the moments that I can grab away from other things. For example, I use the phone browser to surf around here for the ten minutes while I’m waiting for the kids to come out of school, or on the tablet when we’re all sitting around in the living room after dinner. I’m in and out of here constantly but briefly throughout the day, and in the past, I’ve used my Android systems for that. I only post from my Windows systems (desktop or laptop) and that’s unlikely to change.

I’m mildly (only MILDLY!) concerned that Discourse has decided to buy into the “Chrome is the official browser of Android” policy. On one hand, that’s a business decision that Jeff and his associates at CDCK Inc. and Discourse.org have made. If it makes sense to them not to support a very popular standards-compliant browser, that’s their business, and I’m not going to argue with it any more than I just have. I use it in an unusual way, and I acknowledge that fact. But as you probably know, I have a historical connection to Firefox, even as I disagree with many of the choices Mozilla has made in the last few years. Yet at the same time, I’ve started reconsidering exactly what information I share with Google. I’m not a big fan of the choices they have made for Chrome in general and Android Chrome in particular. But c’est la vie… this works well enough. It’s a social media site, not a bank. The issue I see has been reported, but it probably won’t affect anyone else, so let’s move along.

I would say the one gripe I have with Discourse is the lack of transparency when changes are made. Versioning is deliberately hidden from users, and changes are deployed simultaneously, indeed prior to, notification of those changes. That’s not specific to Discourse; I see it in many systems these days, and it’s very obviously a conscious decision. Not that there’s anything really wrong with that, but it’s not the way I deploy changes myself, and I personally don’t care for it.

All that said, and getting back to the recent changes… One very hard thing for programmers to deal with is that sooner or later, you need to stop changing things. Unnecessary UI changes just annoy the users, even when they seem relatively minor. This can be a very hard thing to grasp; programmers want to program, and it’s hard to know when to stop, especially when 99% of your users will never say a word about it, or even acknowledge that anything is different.

I am actually considering switching the mommy-blog over to Discourse. I’ve downloaded and installed it, and I’m playing around with some changes that I feel are necessary for that environment. (trolley flag FTW!) And there are a good many things I don’t understand yet. Also, there are a ton of configuration options that we don’t see as users here on the BBS. It’s a very flexible system, and I can remain a fan while being mildly unhappy with minor changes.

Anyway, sorry for the length of this, I seem to have written more than I intended. (So what else is new…) :wink:

10 Likes

Have you seen the most recent Silicon Valley?

1 Like

After a little more time ruminating on the topic, one thing that I’m having difficulty grappling with is the timeline itself. Maybe it’s just because I already have an easy way to scroll back and fourth in the topic, but the scroll-bar is pretty useless for me. The only other thing displayed is the date. Who honestly thinks “I wonder what people posted last Tuesday” when they are following a discussion thread? How does this enhance dialogue?

4 Likes