Felicity Huffman to serve 13 days of her 14 day sentence

Well, other than needing to overcome being the brood of entitled pricks with no confidence in their offspring. I sincerely wish her daughter luck in not winding up a parasite like her mother.

7 Likes

I was also going to mention how some jails release “good behavior” prisoners early when they’re at full capacity, to make room for more dangerous offenders.

5 Likes

Which is the most grating thing to me. An Academy Award nominee, Golden Globe/Primetime Emmy-winner, married to one of Hollywood’s hottest male properties…practically no reason to be parasitic. It’s already served up on a silver platter.

9 Likes

You need a stand up act, you’re hilarious, honest

The sad thing is she probably believes it

3 Likes

I don’t think they will “make her” do anything. My understanding (from experience with family members) is that you get to choose the non-profit entity you volunteer for.
They sign a time sheet that you bring to your probation officer.

The problem with this for wealthy, connected people is that they know LOTS of people running “charities” and many are friends who will have no problems “signing off” for the hours “served”.
At the very worst, she gets to hang out with friends all day.

9 Likes

Yes! The system works!

2 Likes

I’m saddened by the cynicism displayed above. I don’t know Felicity Huffman. Given her privileged existence, however, I suspect that even just the jail intake process itself would be quite a shock.

2 Likes

This is a federal court, where the procedure is that the judge tasks a probation officer with the job of finding something appropriate for the individual and the crime. Most likely the officer will produce a list and she will have a choice from the list, but how irritating the choices are on the list is a function of both the officer’s connections and creativity. As this is a high-profile case, I suspect the officer will make an extra effort, and not just give her a generic list of community organizations (or let her freely choose her own).

4 Likes

Surely the shame alone will be enough…

shame

5 Likes

Poor woman! At least she didn’t vote for Catalan independence. Now that would have led to some serious bird.

2 Likes

That’s true. I’m not being cynical enough.

1 Like

She’d be out of her depth. There’s no space for a photoshopped picture of a kid in a rowboat (or whatever the hell “crew” is) on a FAFSA.

1 Like

It could go either way, right? The officer could be a really committed hardass who hates that rich people get away with things, or the officer could be really thrilled to meet Felicity Huffman and wonder if they might look over a script the officer has been working on. On average rich and famous people who do bad things get an easier time of it than everyone else, not a harder time.

5 Likes

Honestly, this is the biggest part. She’s a working actress who dragged her name dragged through the mud for doing something objectively shady and objectionable (and somehow, her husband, also a well-known actor, has hardly had his name brought up in the issue at all, and was not charged, despite being quoted in transcripts as participating in the scheme.

I’m as justice-minded as anybody else, and as an interenet-leftist, the class issues here are infuriating. BUT, it’s hard to not notice how it’s only women who have been prosecuted for this and been actually punished; not unlike Marion Jones during the early 2000’s USATF doping purge.

2 Likes

Looking forward to buying her book…

goddammit! I’m part of the problem.

2 Likes

This sounds right. Everyone other than millionaires and billionaires have so much experience with jail and so forth. No problem at all for them.

Pity the poor, poor millionaires!

/s

1 Like

What I meant to imply – and perhaps I could have phrased it better – is, “Don’t underestimate the life-altering impact of even a single night in jail.” I speak from personal experience.

You know, of all the people involved in this crime, I think the parents are the people who I least care about having been involved.

All the coaches, all the assistants, all the proctors, all those people who enabled this to happen, all the people who took the bribes, the people who facilitated the rewards, the people who orchestrated the bribes. Those are the people who I want to do serious time. They all knew that they were committing a serious crime.

This just feels like sentencing a fairly hapless “celeb” to a token prison sentence to show us that “see, the rich do get taken down some times”; and the plebeians cheer and jeer in fooled, misplaced relief while the real bad guys continue to do whatever they want with impunity.

1 Like

It is the price one pays for education.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.