Fellow buried $280,000, not a good investment

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/04/fellow-buried-280000-not-a.html

5 Likes

But think of the value of the dirt - It’s packed with cash nutrient!

8 Likes

This artisanal composting is getting out of hand.

(Sorry, I have empathy for the farmer. But I suspect Boing Boing is blocked by the Great Firewall anyway.)

9 Likes

What if 49% of a bill is physically destroyed & inflation has eaten more than 50% of the rest?

6 Likes

Let’s give thanks for plastic notes in UK. They certainly go through the washing machine unharmed.

10 Likes

Fortunately? the Chinese government locks the value Yuan is tightly controlled as to its value, vs allowing it to flux in relative value like the Dollar. It reduces inflation, though it keeps its value artificially low compared to the rest of the world.

3 Likes

I bet there was wailing and gnashing of teeth!

From Matthew, Chapter 25, The Parable of the Talents:
Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
[25]And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
[26]His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
[27]Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
[28] Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
[29] For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
[30]And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

5 Likes

Once US interest rates go negative, I imagine a lot of people are going to review some simple modifications to this investment strategy.

2 Likes

Keep it dry, spray it for silverfish

5 Likes

CSB

When I worked at a grocery store, some dude with awesome paper manipulation skills used to take ones, cut the corners off and replace the "1"s with "20"s. Spend them, get the change, then they have legit bills. We never realized until the 5.0s started warning stores about 20s with corners cut off.

/CSB

5 Likes

It was probably a better idea than putting it into an overextended Chinese bank or a condo in a ghost city.

1 Like

Hey, I’m happy he remembered where he buried it. I’d have forgotten after a few months.

1 Like

That’s why I always bury my money in #10 cans with moisture and oxygen absorbers.

2 Likes

Or, bury it in the desert, like Walter White. (Albeit, I’m not sure how water-tight those containers would have proven during a desert flash flood.)

1 Like

1 Like

4 Likes

Huh. I had always heard the first part, but never this clause.

Does that mean that if I film myself burning money, and present to the bank a pile of charred bits, they will give me back the money I burned?

A “farmer” in the poorest province in China had $280,000 in cash and buried it rather than invest? I bet there is a whole lot more to this story, if people keep digging.

6 Likes

Donald Trump buried his dad, who was worth a couple hundred million, and he managed to lose all the money, too.

2 Likes

Try it and let us know if it works.