Fender custom shop re-uses Hollywood Bowl bench boards to make $12k guitars

And for ten of these guitars, I could get one of those:

Or, I could use the $12K to get over a hundred cheap accoustic guitars for campfire use (1 to play on, 99 to keep the fire going for a long time…)

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone is buying these for the sound.

3 Likes

Yup, because then it would be worth it.

These are collector guitars. They are no more ridiculously priced than any guitar that has a price of more than a modern sedan because some drug addict played it..

True.

But I bet it doesn’t sound horrible like some people think. If we were to get several Telecasters made out of different woods, all with identical necks, strings and electronics, and had a guitarist play them for us one by one while we were blindfolded, we might hear slight tonal differences but I doubt any of them would sound horrible. Leo Fender’s first “Esquire” Telecaster prototypes were made of pine, and he stopped not because they sounded bad but because pine appeared cheap, and he felt it wasn’t sturdy enough to handle constant gigging.

There have been a few high end instrument builders who made guitars out of what most consider substandard wood, and according to those who’ve played them they’re excellent sounding guitars. Benedetto’s knotty pine archtop comes to mind (click photo for full picture.)

Oh yeah, and how’s THIS for “vintage wood”-- it was salvaged from the ocean where it was damaged by mollusks.

5 Likes

ok well, now, that second one is actually pretty cool. By it would make my wife’s trypophobia go to 11…

2 Likes

Now I’m wondering: how much does a Stradivarius go for these days?

Far more beautiful and appealing to me than the bench seat one.

1 Like

The “Lady Blunt” Stradivarius went for over 15 million dollars in 2011, so that’s well over a thousand ass-polished guitars.
But I was only thinking about new instruments.

Not even really. I think we’re finally at the tipping point for how much wood matters in a guitar build. For electrics not really at all. Sustain is still going to have more to do with tension, saddle, scale length, etc… Even in the world of acoustics the importance of wood type is diminishing (I disagree with guys whosay in an acoustic there is no difference), but as most guitars are made of endangered wood (consider the rosewood issue plaguing border crossing players) it’s good that we’re releasing such a dogma and getting back to the design.

Ha. That took me a few moments.

I have a theory that reclaimed wood that has been stressed repeatedly (by sitting, loading, or bending) sounds better than regular wood. This would apply more to acoustic instruments.

As far as cedar goes, in an electric guitar? No big whoop. It’s probably light, which will be pretty swell for aging backs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.