Fidget spinners + magnets: glorious chaotic motion

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/12/fucking-magnets-etc-etc.html

3 Likes

Am I the only one thinking perpetual motion , or at least generating some electricity from all that?

That’s IT! MAGNETS. . . nobody has ever thought of magnets before to make perpetual motion! Let’s get to work on this right away!

(sorry)

5 Likes

There is surely some way to use this to simulate the statistical mechanics of molecules in a fluid, or something. Gives me a headache just thinking about it. Or maybe some kind of ternary computer?

The next step is to pair it up with those synchronizing metronomes.

1 Like
7 Likes

This was really awesome, but I’m sort of disappointed we don’t get to see how long the big ones take until they’re just sort of quivering in place.

1 Like

Emperor Palpatine speaks the truth.

2 Likes

I sent the link to my thermodynamics professor with a “Curse you! Now all I can see when I look at this is a thermodynamics problem!” note.

3 Likes

That was my first thought. Like a tidal power kinda thing.

mlp-fin-puremagic-ICP-ponies

1 Like

i was thinking more along the lines of “i wonder if we can make random numbers with this”

I can imagine a carnival ride that is both thrilling, and dangerously whiplashing at the same time.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.