Fifth-grade teacher has an elaborate personal handshake for each and every one of his students

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/02/fifth-grade-teacher-has-an-ela.html

4 Likes

So awesome. Of course, typical white person response at the end:

“We’re just interested in how you don’t mess up the routine!”

5 Likes

“Ok, children. Now that we’re done with the morning greetings let’s talk about – [BELL RINGS]-- class dismissed. See you tomorrow.”

7 Likes

Now that’s an awesome teacher.

8 Likes

Beautiful…With all the political drama going on I’m happy seeing a story like this

2 Likes

Typical extrovert. Completely indifferent to the needs of the introverted children in his classroom.

3 Likes

Teaching is about building relationships and helping students draw connections between their existing knowledge and new information/ideas.
This teacher knows that.

8 Likes

And Betsy DeVoss wants to destroy that. Actually she would probably say “THOSE people don’t need education”

Great teacher and why we need to pay them better.

2 Likes

I read some twitter comments. Big mistake. This guy is awesome. But people suck.

8 Likes

this is the type of teacher that makes HUGE, lasting difference in a kid’s life. i speak from a bit of experience as a kid that benefitted from this type of cool attention.

8 Likes

I agree with most here that this guy is a (mostly) wonderful teacher for doing this. But i would have so dreaded going to this class if i were in it.

1 Like

Oh so what, Trump has an elaborate personal Sieg Heil for every neo-nazi he meets! Every. Single. One.

That’s dedication.

1 Like

neat way to make a small but personal connection to each kid each day. i wonder if the kids always line up in the same order or if they try and mix it up?

2 Likes

Why though? He isn’t making the kids do the handshakes–just doing them with the kids who are into it. The teacher next door to me ends every afternoon with every single child getting a choice: high-five, handshake, or hug.

I have big loud moments with my big loud students; I have quiet, calm moments with my quiet calm students. An introverted student’s special greeting could simply be a fistbump or a wave. Even my most introverted student comes up to to me in the morning and values it when I acknowledge that I’m glad he’s at school. Good teachers meet students where they are: what you see in this video is a teacher meeting the needs of one set of students. Who is to say he isn’t equally perceptive to the needs of a different subgroup?

11 Likes

Yes! Each of those kids thinks, “I’m special.”

2 Likes

I would have been that one student whose handshake is a simple salute.

I’m impressed. I count it a success if I learn their names by the end of the year. Or show up in the right room consistently. Or remember to put on clothes before I go to work. Or – yeah.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

Meanwhile, to the teachers: Right on with your endlessly creative and soulful behavior!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.