Fifty years of Zappa's "Hot Rats" and how it inspired the jazz-rock fusion genre

Are you joking?? Most of that album is about the infamous Edgewater Inn incident of Led Zeppelin fame. Thing is, it wasn’t mud sharks that they caught, but red fish. And one on of the girls in the entourage at the time was a red head. And, well nasty things happened because someone had a crazy idea about red fish and red fish, if you get my drift. This happened. Frank just wrote a long joke about it. And the pay off is awesome. “Here comes my bullet!!!” which immediately goes into ‘Happy Together’ because the Florescent Leach and Eddy (or whatever their names were) were actually members of TheTurtles which did the original song. It’s why it sounds so darn good.

That one has a special place in my heart. A group of fellow misfits in high school were being bullied by the gym teacher, who was also the cheerleading coach, and a lot of the cheerleaders were in the same gym class with them. I knew how to choreograph dance, so they came to me when they were assigned to do a dance routine. I created something for them to perform, to Peaches en Regalia. It was so obviously a properly done routine that the teacher — openly angry about it — had to give them an A for it. She never found out how it was they were able to do that!

3 Likes

High School awesomeness engaged!!!

3 Likes

The fusion jazz world was very incestuous. Jean luc Ponty played on Hot Rats and later played in Mahavishnu Orchestra with John Maclughlin and Billy Cobham who played on Bitches Brew with Miles Davis. George Duke played with Frank Zappa and also played with Billy Cobham and did a few albums with Jean Luc Ponty. Jean Luc Ponty also played with Chick Corea’s Return to Forever which featured Stanley Clarke on bass. Stanley Clarke own band had Jan Hammer on Keyboards, who also played in Mahavishnu orchestra…etc.etc.

2 Likes

Jean-Luc Ponty also appears in the credits on Zappa’s Apostrophe (’) as well…

Yeah, I saw them in London a couple of years ago before the legal shit show too, was a fantastic gig. Dweezil seemed like a great steward for his dad’s legacy, from what I managed to follow about the legal shit it really seemed like he was wronged party there, not been following it recently has any of it been resolved? I’m guessing not.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.