Finally, a useful application for augmented reality: rendering virtual kitchen roaches

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/20/get-the-bug-powder.html

5 Likes

If those roaches aren’t singing and dancing then is this truly the best application of AR?

15 Likes

Alternative title: Programmer convinces venture capitalists that roach-infested kitchen is really an augmented reality application.

7 Likes

People are surprised we have pet cockroaches. More so when I tell them we keep them in the bathroom. So I ask them “Where do you keep your cockroaches?” Some people just smile and nod. Others look down and sadly say “the kitchen.”

2 Likes

The video makes me want to laugh and vomit at the same time. :+1:

2 Likes

Don’t do that. Just… trust me on this.

2 Likes

Well if no one else is going to say it then I will. This AR system has potential but right now it is just too buggy.

11 Likes

There’s a game on Steam called “House Flipper” where you simulate buying dilapidated old houses and fix them up and then sell them for a profit. It’s kind of like The Sims but without the Sims. Anyway, there’s a feature where the gross, garbage infested houses are also infested with cockroaches, and they’re a bit of a pain to clean them up. But enough people were wigged out about the game having computer generated bugs in it that you can switch the cockroaches to broken glass.

2 Likes

Someone’s figured out how to make VR into a diet fad, I guess.

There are mods for other games (like Skyrim etc) that specifically replace giant spiders with something else, or with nothing. Some players are very eager to virtually chop fellow humans into mincemeat with an axe, but can’t abide virtual spiders.

2 Likes

At least its not bed bugs

1 Like

Following screensavers, next will be the flying toasters.

5 Likes

Came for Windows roaches, left happy.

That could be such a great weight-loss aid…

OMG that reminds me of my first nyc apartment… you could not pay me to relive that…

1 Like

Ugh. Memories of Williamsburg, B’klyn.

2 Likes

I’ve seen games that let players turn blood into other colors than red. I guess if it bleeds blue, it’s ok to slice and dice it.

1 Like

Hey, I’m Matt the founder of 6D.ai who made the tech in this demo. Ask Me Anything (here or on twitter @mattmiesnieks)

3 Likes

Where do I get this App?

Welcome to Boing Boing!

6Xq9ST9