Find out how exacting your culinary standards are with the Food Disgust Test

It asked if it was gross to eat raw fish but not if it is gross to eat cooked fish. Cooked fish is nasty. Sushi is wonderful. I sort of feel the same about overcooked meat too, but will eat raw meat no problem as long as I know it is safe. The snail in the salad question had me thinking, hmm, is it big enough to steam up and eat?

5 Likes

12.5% due to human contaminants and hygiene. Friends and family mostly get a pass from me, but strangers and acquaintances get the stink eye.

2 Likes

I scored 20.5% mostly due to mold followed by hygiene.

4 Likes

before taking this test, i thought, “it would be easier and faster for me to just note the few foods i won’t eat.” but the inclusion of the hygiene and contaminant questions really made a difference in how i scored (12% mostly weighted to hygiene). fish - raw, cooked, head-on or fileted; raw and undercooked meats - even insects don’t bother me. just don’t have live bugs crawling all over the kitchen! mold? cut it off and serve.
just wash your filthy hands and let’s eat!

3 Likes

Your food disgust is very low (17%)

For me this number is variable, it all depends on the situation. I’ve eaten some pretty dodgy things before and it didn’t bother me at all. But other things in certain circumstances might, but for the most part i find myself unbothered with most things. Bad hygiene was for most important factor in the questionnaire but IRL i have a good tolerance for it.

3 Likes

Your food disgust is low (32.88%).

When a banana gets too ripe, we throw it in the freezer. Once we have 5 bannanas we make banana bread

3 Likes

Your food disgust is low (25.13%).

Hygiene followed by human contaminants. I answered based on my full lifetime, as I went vegetarian in 1979 so most of the questions aren’t applicable any more. But I did include my current need to be careful because of my compromised immune state, or the % would have been a lot lower.

2 Likes

I got 22%. I don’t mind moldy cheese, but when it comes to bread, no thanks. There’s more unseen mold on that loaf.

4 Likes

Eh, there’s always unseen mold on everything. I avoid eating large colonies, but the invisible stuff is not gonna bother me.

5 Likes

Okay, I lied about the cucumber. Cucumbers are RIGHT OUT!
But if I would eat cucumbers, their bendiness wouldn’t enter into the decision whether I’d eat one or not.

4 Likes

I’m right there with you! I grew up with a food provider of strong German lineage. There were several non-meat, non-potato foods that we Did Not Eat, and cukes were near the top of that list.
The first time I ate a largish chunk of one, it was buried in a sandwich and I thought someone had served me a badly spoiled pickle. I could taste that damned thing for a day and a half. URP!

3 Likes

But cucumbers have almost no taste, especially the watery seedy bit in the middle. Most salady type things are like that. It’s the dressing and extras like croutons or crumbled cheese that make salads worth eating.

I got 27.83%, firstly on hygiene, with animal flesh and human contaminants second.

1 Like

I would bounce a salad with a snail in it, just because where I live, snails have been known to carry dangerous disease.

6 Likes

Perhaps you just aren’t sensitive to phenylthiocarbamide?

3 Likes

Is that in cucumbers? I’ve never seen it mentioned there. Cucumbers have aldehydes like 2,6-nonadienal giving their main aroma and then some bitter cucurbitacins, not usually sulfur compounds. Those are more typical of things like cabbages.

(No, not quite all plants are actually breeds of cabbage.)

2 Likes

talking eric cartman GIF by South Park

5 Likes

Your food disgust is very low (19.63%).

Not too surprising. I grew up relatively poor and found I have an adventurous pallet once I could afford a better range of food! (Some of the best food I’ve ever had, I still have no idea what I was actually eating except a general category like meat, a dish with vegetables, and a pastry of some sort.)

3 Likes

“Low” at 33%, mainly for hygiene and human contamination, with mould in 3rd place. Not that blue cheese disgusts me. I just can’t stand the taste of it. I’ll cut the mouldy bit off a piece of bread and eat the good bit. But. Usually the whole thing is going mouldy. So into the compost bucket it goes.

1 Like

Perhaps not, because I love cabbage, brussels sprouts, and broccoli.

1 Like