Find out how exacting your culinary standards are with the Food Disgust Test

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/27/find-out-how-exacting-your-culinary-standards-are-with-the-food-disgust-test.html

3 Likes

9.38%, pretty much entirely on hygiene. As expected, pretty adventurous. Surprised at some of the “i would never…” questions, gotta admit.

12 Likes

Elevated at 68.13%. Not surprised.

5 Likes

I have friends who are horrified at what I will eat. Honestly, though, when it comes out of my garden, I have put a lot of work into that apple. Damned if I am gonna throw it out because a worm took a few nibbles! :grin:

15 Likes

I’ve eaten shredded pickled sheep gut on my salad and washed it down with fermented horse milk. I’ve sprinkled roast crickets on dinner.

I’m surprised I came in at “Your food disgust is low (28.25%).”

That’s mostly fish, though, and mostly because of a couple of bad experiences with sushi.

5 Likes

Instructions unclear.

Is it thumbs down to say I also would not eat this or thumbs up to say I agree with this statement?

19.75%, mainly hygiene related

7 Likes

Higher here, 27%, but practically the only category is hygiene.

Not picky at all with food, but I’d rather not share bodily fluids and unknown bacteria without my consent (and, when needed, the other person’s, of course!)

3 Likes

For me it looks like this:

So, Green == Agree with the statement. No changes throughout the test.

EtA: oops, wrong reply, it was for @NukeML

6 Likes

Huh. Mine was the “Thumbs up/thumbs down” version, and it did take me a minute to figure out this was “agree/disagree.” The slide bar you got is much more intuitive.

4 Likes

Mine was agree disagree.

I got a 74.5%

That’s passing, right? I mean I made it through high school with a lower average.

8 Likes

I hit 12%, maybe because I reject bananas with black spots. However I think the survey thinks I’m worried about the bananas doing something bad to me, and I just happen to like firm green not sweet bananas.

1 Like

I got a low food disgust score, but it’s skewed because I’m a vegetarian (most of my disgusted-type responses were around eating meat and seafood). So anyone who doesn’t eat animal products is going to score as more disgusted. Interestingly I am very particular about food textures, especially around fruit going off, but that wasn’t very well represented.

1 Like

Scored Low/25%, all skewed to hygiene.

Why am I telling you this? Because it looks like you’re not gonna eat that spotted banana. If you’re not gonna, can I have that?

10 Likes

I won’t eat a squishy spotted banana but I will eat the banana bread my wife makes with them.

She collects them in the freezer and makes bread when she gets enough.

4 Likes

Those are also good in smoothies. Tasty-like.

3 Likes

I’m pretty much the same as you (low on everything except slightly elevated on hygiene). The one exception that pushes me up to 30.5% (which is still classified as low), however, is mold. I know that people regularly cut and scrape it off foodstuffs and survive, but the fact that it grows mycelia does not convince me that is enough.

3 Likes

My wife found a gizmo that takes those (frozen) past due bananas and grinds them into a very convincing ice cream substitute. Can flavor with vanilla, other frozen fruit, spices, etc. Called “Yonanas.” Was surprised at how well it works.

6 Likes

If the situation gets desperate, you can use a food processor to make this, and it’s a really decent dessert IMO.

1 Like

18% primarily due to hygiene.

32.13 mostly human contaminant and animal flesh.