Finland N'existe Pas

I have REALLY filthy mind, coz whenever I see Scandinavia, I think “Norway/Sweden = massive cock, Finland = nutsack”.

Which would go a long way to explaining why most Scandinavian EBM outfits have one-track minds (though the same could be said for Belgian - in fact Belgians are worse, I can’t think anyone’s getting laid in Belgium at all, they all seem sexually frustrated…).

So what you’re saying is that Norwegians and Swedes are huge dicks, and Finns are nuts? I’m okay with that.

9 Likes

Within a days walk of New Haven in the province of Finland, there was a decayed mansion where Reagan lived.

2 Likes

So, in the space dog thread you shared with me a Finnish band that’s called Laika & The Cosmonauts. I wonder why I also felt compelled to make a song about Laika? Maybe it’s in our blood, just like the knowledge that soon our Mother Russ-- I mean heyyy, just look at that dog in space!

And this dog can catch a ball, awwww.

3 Likes

Surf Rock ?!?!?

They rely heavily on the Finnish rautalanka tradition.

Of course, I can’t really expect a random person to know all parts of the fictional-meta-narrative that is “Finland”.

1 Like

Rautalanka is like Finnish surf rock. We can’t actually surf, so we just shrugged and kind of half-assed the “surf” part and ta-dah; there you have rautalanka.

I mentioned it in the Finnish cinema section of the Twin Peaks topic, but what’s the place of Lipton Cockton in Finnish culture? It was the only Finnish movie I’d seen for a long time.

Swedes are the Brits of the North?

I had never heard of Lipton Cockton before you mentioned it, so I’m not the right person to ask. :smiley:

But as far as Finnish cinema goes, I really recommend the new(ish) Aki Kaurismäki film Le Havre. It has a 99% fresh score on Rotten Tomatoes. It’s in French, and it was shown at Cannes before it was shown in Finland - it’'s like Kaurismäki would rather pretend he’s from some other cooler, artsier European country. :disappointed: And if people are interested in Kaurismäki’s movies, The Man Wtithout A Past is a classic piece of work, highly-acclaimed.

I guess so…? Never knew people thought Brits “seem” gay, but I guess many would say the same about Swedes. I don’t personally like those Swedish gay jokes, but they’re really prevalent here.

1 Like

##FTFY

3 Likes

Something else that seems made up…
Extreme Stadium Luxury Boxes: This One in Finland’s Got a Sauna! - Core77

4 Likes

SHOOOP!

Has to be. Naked people at a hockey game is just too crazypants to be real.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Escape from New York, again:

WTH kinda made-up language are the speaking in? Takka taka meetsa saverta suvana beri minka meta shotoa mats.

Huttese?

Continuing the discussion from Moomin — eccentric comic masterpiece from a legendary children’s author:

I like Moomin. I have a volume; looks like this is a larger collected edition. Awww. I hate duplicating stuff. Well, it’s not like I can afford it, anyway.

Moomin’s from one of those Scandahoovian countries, innit? The tv version was Polish.

1 Like

Tis not from a scandihoovian country… :wink:

It has been ages since I have looked at the Scandinavia and the World comic… I see that he has a constant theme of Sweden being secretly gay:

I’m a little embarrassed by this, but I sometimes get Norway and Iceland’s flags mixed up. It’s because they’re basically a color inversion of each other.

1 Like

The first thing Finns do, wherever they go, is build a sauna - even in military/peacekeeping operations. First sauna, then the rest of the buildings. It’s a necessity! Where else would you give birth to a child, or drink beer? I mean, sheesh.

Oh my god, how come I haven’t heard of this? Rare Exports was awesome, and now they basically have all the same people (even the kid!) involved… AND Samuel L. Jackson?

Do you have the comics only? I suggest getting one of the books or picture books.

Well, Tove Jansson wrote it in Swedish, the stop motion was Polish-Austrian, the animated series and movies are Japanese-Dutch and there were even some obscure Soviet-era serials… but I swear it’s Finnish!

Told you!

Speaking of Scandinavia and the World, I love that comic. It captures our drunken spirit so well.

(The lion is because of of our “special” coat of arms.)

Also, we like to punch reindeer in the ass:

True story:

2 Likes

Salmari! I must be the only one south of Helsinki who likes that stuff, based on my privately administered taste tests.

Also, the “terva snapsi” samples I sometimes manage to sneak into such tests, now that gives some nice reactions! :smiley: The taste LINGERS!

2 Likes