Finland N'existe Pas

This, from the “country” that consumes its drugs via reindeer-piss.

2 Likes

It gives us magical powers you couldn’t even dream of. But now you’re getting too close the to the truth.

4 Likes

It’s all Sweden’s fault that we are even being doubted… Here is the truth about Sweden:

1 Like

I’ll utter “Slaarvita” when I’m grossed out by crap. My mother swears it’s a Swedish word that’s roughly equivalent to “disgusting” or “slovenly”. But every time I’ve asked a native Swede if they recognize the word, they don’t.

My mother is third generation Swedish, so I suspect it’s just a made up Swedish-sounding word. She also claims “Roosk” is Swedish for “debris” or “junk”, like the dead leaves that blow in through the front door on a windy day.

ETA: Just realized… Slaarvita might be a bastardization of slå fitta, which would mean something like “beat pussy”

1 Like

There actually IS a Swedish word “rosk”, which means “rubbish”, but I think it’s a Swedish-Finnish word (you know, those crazy people in south-west Finland who speak a weird blend of both languages, it’s like a weird dialect of Swedish with Finnish words). There’s also a very similiar word in Finnish, “roska”, which might be its origin and not Swedish.

I can speak a little Swedish, since it’s the second official language of Finland.

3 Likes

Oh and that sounds like “slarvig”, which really does mean “untidy”, “messy” or “slovenly”. Maybe native speakers haven’t recognized the word because your pronunciation has changed over time to something weird.

1 Like

Yes. I remember distinctly when I was a kid, my mother would walk into my room, and seeing all my clothes dragged out of the drawers, and piled up on the floor, she’d exclaim “Greesoonga! You slaarvita boy, clean up all this roosk before you step on a lego!”

I forgot, she also says “Greesoonga!” which is supposed to mean “disgusting”. I think that one may also be another bastardization passed from her grandparents to her when she was maybe 5 years old.

She was pretty young when the native speaking grandparents died, so I’m thinking the reason why native swedes seem to understand these words is because they might be very “baby-ish” pronunciation. Like in Japanese where the Chan honorific is sometimes replaced with Tan in moe character names.

Fun note, one of my mom’s grandfathers was actually Norwegian, and the Swedish 3/4 of the family really disliked him. It was apparently quite the scandal, like a black guy marrying a white girl in Alabama in the 1940s kind of scandal. I wouldn’t be surprised if he taught my mom “slå fitta” just to troll the Swedes XD

By all accounts he had a chip on his shoulder and felt that the swedes were always looking down on him.

5 Likes

HIPPIES!

3 Likes

I’ll tell you what’s even more hippie-ish. We have these things called (literally) “every man’s rights”, which means that all land, no matter who it belongs to, is free for your to traverse. You also have the right to pick berries, mushrooms, fish (to a certain extent without a permit), camp, make a fire and so on. As long as you don’t cause damage to nature, you can go anywhere.

Because sharing is caring. Now come and join me in a communist hug! :couple_with_heart:

12 Likes

Ya see, This is why Finland is the happiest place on earth. Talk about freedom.

1 Like

Our troubadors have dreamed of such places

As I went walking I saw a sign there 
And on the sign it said "No Trespassing." 

But on the other side it didn't say nothing, 
That side was made for you and me.

Woody Guthrie was such a red.

Maybe Finland exists, you just wouldn’t know it because there are no obvious signs.

6 Likes

The conspiracy grows and grows.

2 Likes

The CEO of my former company was Norwegian and went on a 10 minute rant when I said that I thought he was Swedish.

2 Likes

One of the few things that Swedes and Norwegians can agree on is the fact that Finlander jokes are funny, e.g. Aino/Oivo/Eino and Toivo jokes.
They also think that Ole and Lena jokes are funny, but if a swede tells the joke Ole & Lena are Norwegian and vice versa if a Norwegian tells them.

2 Likes

The Finns tendency to organize almost got them banned from emigrating to the US… When the Chinese Exclusion Act was enacted, some people (Timber/Mining interests) lobbied to get Finns classified as Asians because they tended to fight for fair labor practices.

This story mentions it: MPR: Finland Was a Poor Country

Edit: Wherever there were concentrations of Finns, there were a lot of Cooperatives – even the telephone companies in small towns were sometimes run by a Co-op.

9 Likes

We should move this convo over to the “'Sup Fictional Marxists” thread.

3 Likes

Not sure how they would have reacted to a Norwegian, but my father’s family was thrilled when they got their first family member with dark hair… My mother is French/Irish and has black curly hair and olive skin – my older brother was born with the same (although, his face is the spitting image of his Swedish grandmother).

1 Like

WTF’s Unicum…?! Unicorn jizz…?

2 Likes

Is it explained at the link?

Finns always make Swedish jokes. They usually involve Swedes being dumb, as jokes of this kind do. I assume the Finn jokes Swedes (and Norwegians too? :frowning:) make are very similar. The one thing different is that we like to think Swedes are gay. I don’t know why, I think it’s a modern development.

But really, Swedes vs. Finns is like a sibling rivalry. It never ends. Someone once described that we’re like Donald Duck and Sweden is his cousin Gladstone Gander (who is very lucky, for those who did not grow up on Donald Duck comics). We have an inferiority complex like that.

1 Like