Fire destroys 12 Tiny Homes at a Los Angeles encampment

Originally published at: Fire destroys 12 Tiny Homes at a Los Angeles encampment | Boing Boing

7 Likes

The horrors of being homeless still stalk me in my dreams…

febf8b673b75613f4d6e7535df299b73

19 Likes

This shows why Las Vegas recently removed one of those tiny home places that had been done without permits. Shanty towns are firetraps unless done carefully.

6 Likes

Since I catch these posts via rss with a dodgy reader, the headline read as ‘Fire destroyed 12" tiny homes…’

3 Likes

Yep. That brand in particular seems to have recurring problems. Their website says that the homes are cost effective because the walls are made with fiberglass and foam. But maybe adding a little sheet metal siding would be worth the extra cost.

5 Likes

The speed and intensity with which the fire spread, and the difficulties in accessing a poorly planned out facility, highlight the need for permanent housing solutions built to the same minimum building safety requirements as any other citizen residence.

Fiberglass and foam insulation, with the proper formulation, are are fire retardant building materials. The building codes don’t require homes or buildings to be completely fire_proof_, but to burn slowly enough that everyone has time to get out. The smaller the building, the less time (in theory) that it takes to get out. Despite starting in the middle of the night, the article says everyone got out, so, from the perspective of the building codes, this is largely a success.

That said, fire trucks need clear access to homes and fire hydrants, and perhaps something should have been done to reduce the likelihood of fire in one of the homes from spreading to the neighboring homes.

I don’t have specific data, but it seems to be the incidence of electrical fires in structures has declined over the past several decades. Electrical codes have evolved. Energy efficient lighting draws less power and runs cooler (though it does involve more parts). Recently, though, that seems to be offset by lithium batteries and the greater availability of electronics that don’t meet product safety guidelines (like UL, CE, etc.).

If we could better contain the fire risk of lithium batteries and ensure that our cheap electronics are up to the safety guidelines we already have, I think we’d prevent a lot of tiny home fires, and large home fires, and apartment building fires, and electric car fires, and …

6 Likes

Crap. I was relieved when the veterans’ flag-bedecked tents were taken off San Vincente and onto VA land, then replaced with the tiny homes and support infrastructure. I was foolish to assume that the VA would plan properly and serve their constituents.

4 Likes

12 inch tiny homes.

Shouldn’t be funny, still chuckled, obv going to hell.

2 Likes

Add in an 18 inch stonehenge and you’ve really got something going!

4 Likes

Spinal Tap Rulzz!

they don’t, but love the reference :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yep. We’re all a missed pay check or two away.
I reflexively look at overpasses to see how habitable they are. What materials are around. Where I can find cardboard.

=/

5 Likes

Related: NYC proposes banning ebikes in public housing. That story is framing it the context of gig delivery riders, but a lot still applies here, except maybe the building code issues.

3 Likes

PTSD, or an important life skill :grimacing:

3 Likes

Aaaand then there’s a fire in India.

2 Likes

I always wonder about the tiny homes that have the bed up in a loft that is accessed by a ladder.

1 Like

I don’t disagree, but also I don’t think Vegas provided an alternative form of housing to the residents. Given the choice between living in a tiny house that might burn down, and the street, I think I’d prefer the former. Same here. The solution is to provide better housing, not just to kick out the proles.

2 Likes

Except the issue isn’t a tiny house that burns down, but a tiny house that burns down with someone inside.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.