Firefighters free naked woman wedged, upside-down, between two buildings

6 Likes

north central California… its ugly
north east Texas - its ugly

all over the country, people with no jobs, no hope — turn to meth, lose everything, live on street, turn to crime

its FUCKING SAD
and needs addressing at a national level.
no more of this war-on-drugs bullshit.
no more “free” money

get sustainable help and housing, that includes job training and a path to independence

even WPA style jobs rebuilding parks and infrastructure, arts, libraries…
instead of. selling those jobs to the lowest bidder/developer

years ago, I met a guy on a crew building roads in south India - smart guy - degree from US college. In lunghi, carrying a sledgehammer.

I asked him? why not use tractors, bulldozers, knock this road out quick?

He pointed to all the people working, and said “its not a lot of money, but it is a job that pays, allows them to provide for ther families, and allows them the satisfaction of earning, not taking… We need more jobs for people, not faster built roads”

till our country understands - and starts making jobs rather than government pay-outs? bring back manufacturing, realize not everyone needs a college degree in film history etc… we have a giant mess on our hands - that will only get bigger and methier

3 Likes

That ship has sailed my dude… at least as it existed in the 50s and 60s.

God forbid that anyone but the rich, elite should try and understand the world… I mean, they are the ones who get the shape it, so why should the rest of us plebs get to throw in OUR $.02… It is their god given right to hoard the production of knowledge, after all… /s

Trying to remake American into the 1950s isn’t the solution. We will always need the trades, manufacturing, etc, but the way to ensure those jobs are well-paid is by putting workers in the drivers seat, rather than letting the elite control the means of production. How do you do that? Not neglecting a broadbased education that INCLUDES the liberal arts, including stuff like film studies!

It’s not an either/or situation, and anyone peddling that bullshit is trying to keep “the wrong” people in their place as subordinate to the ruling class.

11 Likes

i agree with you - we do NOT need to return to 1950s

AND - there is no either or - but what we have now? __ is not working.

people graduating college in a mountain. of never repayable debt - is criminal
people who cannot find work is unsustainable

IN NO WAY - am I endorsing either “party” or side. I am simply saying - we need a solution.

being dependant on china? not a solution

3 Likes

I agree with that.

That does not make college pointless, as many try to claim. We should have free k-16, at least. We should also everyone gets a broad based education that includes BOTH learning about the trades AND the liberal arts, which have been severely underfunded (as we’ve shoveled private corporate $$$ at STEM) in the past few decades due to the right wing war on the academy… which is also part of why it’s so expensive to go to college. I suspect that there are probably lots of loan companies that have been lining the pockets of politicians so that Federal Grants that helped working class people get a college education were gutted as much as they’ve been.

But perhaps we should look at how other countries fund their college systems…

Nor is trying to pretend they don’t exist. They have some of the world’s largest manufacturing capacity, and that won’t change because we want it to. We can change how we think about public education far more easily than we can change what role China plays in the world.

8 Likes

Cue keyboard intro to The Who’s Baba O’Riley

2 Likes

I remember these arguments from the 1970’s. They were just as manipulative then.

Look at what’s happened to the modern equivalent of working class no-college-needed jobs, retail services: people have caught on to the fact that they don’t have to put their lives and their health on the line for a mere pittance. There are so many other types of jobs that pay better, have better working conditions, and provide a career path as opposed to working on one’s feet for decades. When there was a lockdown, lots of businesses figured out how to make it work. The ones that want people to come crawling back? That ship has sailed.

What people need is a reasonable public education throughout childhood – necessary for even the most basic job – decent childcare so that they CAN work, and help paying the bills until they get on their feet.

Calling them lazy and greedy doesn’t work so well.

10 Likes

7 Likes

coca cola coke GIF

9 Likes

Well, I mean, we could bring back the strong unions and higher tax rates of the 50s. And the massive infrastructure projects like the highway system.

2 Likes

I went through my technical rescue training in Ocala, Florida. One of the scenarios in the training was almost exactly this, with a mannequin pinned between two large, vertical slabs of immovable concrete. I remember scoffing at how ludicrous the training scenario was, and I’m sure I was probably vocal in my scoffing.

And here we are. I apologize to my trainers!

4 Likes

Sustain: its a good idea to indicate the areas where NOT to cut, as well as those areas you CAN cut. Well done!

Improve: try not to have your ventilation fan next to any engine exhaust!

Yes I know, every situation is different and maybe there was a reason etc etc…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.