Firefox nukes the blink tag

[Permalink]

Just in case you still NEED a blink tag :wink:

I wasn’t aware that Firefox had a blink tag, and, personally, could do without it. It reminds me of my old BBS days when Commodore 64 systems had a function called “MCI”. I don’t remember what that really stood for, but we all called it “Moving Cursor Irritant”.

‘…Until the end of days’ just doesn’t mean what it used to.

2 Likes

My head hurts.

It also broke the Google-lucky-search from the address bar.

Sure, it can be restored with a plugin, but I’m getting seriously sick of spending 20 minutes following a Firefox “update” restoring my system to a functional state.

Literally, 2/3 of all the Firefox add-ons I have installed are just to fix old, preferable behavior that was broken via “update,” and the list just keeps growing.

2 Likes

Maybe there are no more unbelievers?

I’m not a fan of the change either, but it’s not broken, exactly. It just uses the same search engine as the search bar now, rather than following a hidden pref (which defaulted to Google). Apparently hijacking that pref was enough of a problem that the security team decided to tie the two together.

Geocities will never be the same!

3 Likes

now if we can get rid of the scourge of animated GIF files, we’d really be getting somewhere.

What about marquee? Do we still have marquee!?

EDIT: We DO! Oh joy, oh rapture!

Blink. And you’ll miss it.

Well, call me crazy (You’re Crazy!), but I think the Blink tag still has a place in modern HTML markup.

There are times when I want to draw particular attention to a word or phrase, and < b >, < em >, < span style=“font-weight:bold;” >, etc. just don’t do enough.

Sure, the tag has been deprecated (is that the right term?), and the official W3 standards no longer list it, but it’s a tiny thing that could’ve been left in the browser’s repertoire.

I’ll miss it, dangit!

Regardless of the aesthetic merits of the tag, <blink> has no place in HTML for the same reason that <font>, <center>, and other such tags don’t. They say nothing about the document’s semantic meaning; their only purpose is to tell the browser how to render text in a visual medium. That is what CSS, not HTML, is for.

whatever you do, do not <blink>

anyhow, the loss of the blink tag is no surprise, it’s been deprecated for like 12 years or more. they shoulda taken the maquee tag out while they were at it…

1 Like

Why can I still see it?

Check your Firefox version. It might not have the 23.0 update just yet.

thanks.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.