First 'baked in space' cookies: 2 hours at 325º in zero-g oven

michael , yes exactly ! that was half my point, the other half is why the air in cot circulating the way it does down here, both of those they screwed up, maybe i did not expressed my self good in my post

Its not hard to design an electric fan forced oven for use in zero G. Its basically a closed loop of pipe, with a grid, a fan, and a heating element. The fan pushes the food being cooked up against the grid. A thermostat varies the power applied to the element to control temperature. It should work much as on Earth.

edit: to extract the food, turn off the element but keep the fan running. Reach in and grab the food from the grid.

Let me help: That one’s a myth.

…and of course:

4 Likes

michael again exactly my point, this should not even be a challenge, in fact they could just use any commercially available air fryer with a very small modification to hold the food in place, they cost as little as $50, i have one i cant think of a single reason why that would not work in space, obviously they have 110 or 220 plugs for they laptops that would be the only issue i can think of, and than they dont have to worry about the performance of the heating element either

I’m not sure I’d call either of those links ‘detailed’. Neither had anything by way of technical details. :frowning: Not that I would ever expect any level of detail (let alone accuracy) from a source like the Verge.

Who signed off on this idea? With biscuits you get crumbs. Before you know it that place is gonna be overrun with cockroaches. Mark my words.

1 Like

Why is this the first thing I thought of?

5 Likes

2 Likes

Is RTFA not in style here?

They used sealed silicone bags with a vent that had a 4micron filter on it. Nothing but steam is getting out of there. You did notice that they didn’t get to eat them, right?

2 Likes

Right baxter. I actually read a lot of his books but get confused
Actually the cock up on one of the landers was that they forgot to turn off an atmosphere equalizing function that allowed the Titan Atmosphere to get into the cabin, The pilot who was the only other one remotely qualified IIRC due to loss of crew on the outbound journey managed to get the ship down but died to exposure to the atmosphere because she did not have her suit on.

Yeah I think the novel gives us a reasonable picture of what would happen if we attempted a trip to Titan right now. The crew degrade so much over the seven year cruise that they can hardly get anything right when they arrive.

You want ants? That’s how you get ants.

3 Likes

One does, however, wonder how well cockroaches would fare in a space environment - absurd as that thought may sound.

1 Like

If you were seriously cooking that would definitely be an issue(if memory serves the entire cooling system is only good for something like 60KW); but in this case I suspect it’s not a big deal.

The Oven’s web page says that it fits in a Nanoracks Frame 3 module; which advertises a whole 50 watts of power to the payload.

I assume that the ISS specced out the situation rather carefully before allocating the resources to Nanoracks; and that’s just not a very punchy oven.

2 Likes

Just use one of those old Easy-bake things. Just the thing when space is a problem.

2 Likes

1 Like

First ‘baked in space’ cookies: 2 hours at 325º in zero-g oven

POINT OF PEDANTRY: º is the masculine ordinal indicator (U+00BA), not the degree symbol (°, U+00B0).

6 Likes

Could be a psych test, if someone made cookies in my kitchen that I was told I couldn’t eat, there would be a demonstration of my psychology:

1 Like

What I’d really want are cookies baked on a launch pad. Okay, near a launch pad.

2 Likes

Are you into cookie atoms?