First image of a supermassive black hole

Yeah see I’d think they’d be streaked all the time. The dimmer the light the longer the exposure you need and then the movement of the earth would be more pronounced! Again, obviously they’ve figured out all of this or we wouldn’t have these images. UNLESS the moon landing and all of modern space photography is a hoax and obviously the earth is flat. Ha

1 Like

I’ve been got all the respect in the world for the people who do this sort of thing! Amazing.

7 Likes

Seriously thanks to you and your many many team members for bringing these wonders to us.

26 Likes

MIT Technology Review has a great write up on the woman who wrote the algorithm that made this possible:

She was extremely on point:

23 Likes

7 Likes

You, sir, are a god among men! See, stuff like this is one of the huge reasons that I love it here!!

11 Likes

I declare dibs on using it as an avatar.

11 Likes

Well played. Sauron approves.

6 Likes

Obligatory:

What? The curtains?

11 Likes

Came for goatse, did not find, am massively disappoint with the BoingBoing.

4 Likes

Hank Azaria was on a talk show this week…and talking about his voice work with “The Simpsons” and was asked about who was the most difficult guest voice actor.
He mentioned Stephen Hawking…and how Dr. Hawking basically stood up the cast for rehearsal being late several times and keeping everyone on the clock waiting for him to show up.
One of the writers remarked “This man has no concept of time”

9 Likes

Here ya go:

7 Likes

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• breathes, gulping air *

(Goto 10)

2 Likes

Given that Voyager 1 just left “our solar system”, for some definition of our solar system, I suppose it’s “only” the size of our solar system.

M87 Black Hole Size Comparison
XKCD

12 Likes

And it takes two whole days for stuff to revolve around it:

Hard to photograph
It was easiest to take a picture of M87. “It is very difficult to photograph the black hole in our Milky Way, because the material around it moves very fast: the vortex rotates around its axis in 20 minutes. … With M87, the matter revolves around the hole in two days, so it’s easier to photograph”, says Falcke.
black hole - Why didn't the Event Horizon Telescope team mention Sagittarius A*? - Astronomy Stack Exchange

4 Likes

I’m surprised it took 8 hours.

1 Like

I thought they found that years ago

9 Likes

Yay, am no longer disappoint, faith in (weird) humanity restored!

1 Like

So, I have a sort of science-y question. Presumably, from what I know about the theory of black hole formation, they’re spherical. Three-dimensional. Matter infalls from every direction. In other words, the event “horizon” shouldn’t resemble anything like Jupiter’s rings. It should surround the entire thing and so we shouldn’t be able to see anything but the event horizon. The actual black hole, like in the image, shouldn’t be visible.

So why is it? And if there is a reason it is, how is it scientists were just fortunate to pick one where the event horizon wasn’t presented edge-on, or at an angle of some sort?

1 Like

The black hole itself is spherical, and is the black void in the center of the image. However, for Physics Reasons like tidal forces and such, material falling inward toward the black hole will collapse into a disk. The light being emitted by this accretion disc as it’s accelerated to nearly the speed of light (and heated by friction and other forces in the process) is what we’re seeing in this image.

I cannot recommend highly enough the Veritasium video that was posted earlier in this thread for an explainer of what we’re seeing and why it looks that way.

It looks like he’s posted his follow-up, as well:

12 Likes