First liquor store in Saudi Arabia opens. Diplomats only!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/25/first-liquor-store-in-saudi-arabia-opens-diplomats-only.html

3 Likes

Diplomats … and members of the Bonesaw family. This corrupt royal clan has a long history of flouting the laws they so piously impose on others.

6 Likes

Why would diplomats need a local shop?

6 Likes

Show me an embassy in SA without one already.

5 Likes

I doubt they’d consort with the riff-raff, even the diplomatic riff-raff… I’m sure they get ready access to all sorts of substances illegal in the Kingdom already… Osama Bin Laden wasn’t just mad about the US being in the holy land, he felt that the Saudis were corrupt and should not have control over the holy cities…

5 Likes

I thought that saying was “Disneyland with the death penalty,” and that it’s usually used when describing Singapore?

At any rate, Disneyland finally caved and started selling booze in the park a few years ago.

3 Likes

I thought the entire world knew Saudi royals were already imbibing in private.

That’s what autocrats do.

2 Likes

Tired:
Why should you always take two Saudi crown princes fishing?

Because if you only take one he’ll drink all your beer!

Wired:
Why should you always take two Saudi crown princes fishing?

Because if you only take one and he doesn’t like your jokes he’ll have his goons murder you, cut you into pieces, and throw you in the lake!

ETA: I jotted this off without thinking about a few things: there is only one Saudi crown prince, a relatable fishing trip would be the exact kind of sportswashing that he is all about these days, and any fishing trip made without inviting him is likely to be perceived as an insult resulting in a visit from the goons. We now live in a post Momo’s Basilisk world. Fisherpeople, I’m deeply sorry. Fish, you’re welcome.

5 Likes

I hope that this place does not suffer any consequences from religious zealots. :worried:

Looks like diplomats won’t have to have their “private communications office” any more:

6 Likes

That’s exactly where my mind went too

2 Likes

One law for me, another for thee.

For some reason I was reminded of

This scene from The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie:

6 Likes

We don’t need that kind of negativity around here. Remember, it’s a Diplomatic Bag of Cans…

Bag of Cans

5 Likes

I’d assume that the turnaround time for getting something by diplomatic bag is going to have a tough time being much better than ‘next day’; so there’s probably a niche to be found serving diplomats with inadequate planning skills or unexpected requirements; even if you’ve got someone at home willing to load up the bag and get it on the plane right after you call this evening isn’t going to take care of itself.

2 Likes

But there are thousands of Saudi princes.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.