First screen test of Henry Cavill in The Witcher

Honestly, the first is the best. Got about 3 or 4 in and, while I finished the second to last one, it was a pretty uninteresting slog that’s basically Geralt actively trying to avoid politics.

What I’d really love is Geralt doing a monster of the week traveling around fantasy Europe slaying weird creatures and bandits who pick a fight with the wrong guy.

2 Likes

I hate The Witcher, but I’d watch the shit out of a show that was Geralt just Steve Irwin-ing his way through grimdark magical monster land.

4 Likes

I mean, in the later stuff Geralt is basically fantasy Cable. Mads Mikkelsen would be a much better option as a whole, I think that’s the truth

1 Like

Like I said Cavil is a surprisingly good actor when he gets the opportunity to do… Anything not stupid. And even though Superman is the devil, he’s pretty expensive. Apparently he’s a massive geek for the games too, and pushed for this project Ryan Reynolds style. So it seems like we might not be seeing this at all without Cavil.

Whatever the deal is he’s definitely too something for the roll. And if you look at discussions about it it’s a lot of people going back and forth about exactly what it is.

I’m more concerned about it being on Netflix. They’ve produced very, very, very few truly, transcendently good shows. And most of that is comedy of much smaller scale.

They produce a lot of dross. Some stuff that’s interesting but doesn’t quite work. And some decent if not great geek bait.

I can think of maybe 3 shows off the top of my head that are (or were) genuinely excellent and executed at a level I would call top quality. Glow, Orange is The New Black (early on), and Bojack Horseman. All comedies.

I dunno if they have the motivation, or means to make something really good out of this.

He doesn’t suck. He’s just… Limited.

Neither Brolin or Stone can ever be forgiven for the dreck that was W.
Not ever.

Stranger Things, Castlevania, American Vandal, Voltron, (the new) Queer Eye, S1 of Daredevil and Jessica Jones, Black Mirror, The Haunting of Hill House, etc, etc.

They do make shows that have been well regarded by critics and regular watchers. However that’s neither here nor there, not trying to argue against the point you were making because i’m also fairly apprehensive over this (especially because its being done at Netflix). I do want this to turn out to be decent but i’m not expecting this to be good.

Has serious short comings.

Is quite good but not the level of good I’m talking about. It suffers for kid show compromises among other things.

There’s a difference between liking something a lot. And that something being objectively good, or well made, or saying and doing something interesting. There are things I like an awful lot that are, hostestly, pretty crap. (Congo).

Good as Voltron and Castlevania have been. Neither is driving “best show on TV” conversations. Neither going to get mentioned along side shit like Deadwood. Neither one is saying anything particularly interesting, complex, or necessarily much at all. And I can acknowledge that even though I like both quite a bit.

Haven’t seen. Haven’t got to haunting yet. While the buzz on both is good, it’s more like routine good TV buzz. Not the sort of slow burn “that shit is amazing” burn we see out of real linger, great Media.

The first season of Daredevil and Jessica Jones were definitely the best of the Marvel shows. But both had a serious taper off in season 2. And the rest of the shows had more serious problems. JJ season 1 did the most in regards to working with interesting, unique, and less common themes and came closest to having something to say. The rest sort of just devolved into “powers are an addiction”, hero gets mad takes to far cliche. And there was a lot of staight up unintential camp.

And again. Those are shows I like. I could keep going. But compare these shows. And Netflix’s track record with HBO. Or the shows you listed out with universally well regarded shit we’re still writing about like Mad Men. Out and out sensations like Breaking Bad. Or even Game of Thones which has serious issues here and there. It’s just not the same league.

OITNB came closest to capturing the both the Zeigeist and quality level of shows like that, but it’s tapered off the past couple of years. Horsemen (which is getting repetitive) and Glow cut closest to the sort of universal critical acclaim of excellent but under watched shows. And all 3 have managed, at least for a time. To pull of the level of complex story telling I’m talking about.

Stranger Things definitely has the popularity. But the quality just isn’t there, it sits more with sub prestige popular hits like The Walking Dead. Yes it’s good TV, but high art it ain’t.

Amazon has even less of a track record in regards to truly good content. Or even watchable content. But they stumbled their way into Fabulous Mrs. Maisel. That shit is a thing of beauty. If Netflix had produced just one previous project at that level of execution. That level of complexity and depth. I’d feel a lot better about whether they’re gonna make me feel silly about my wizard shows.

Early House of Cards was pretty damn good, as was Ozark and Stranger Things Season 1. I don’t know that they’ve produced any of HBO’s quality of content, though, especially when you look at the general quality across all seasons of shows like The Sopranos or The Wire, Westworld, or Game of Thrones.

You know I forgot about House of Cards. I’d definitely put the first few seasons in my prestige TV list.

Stranger Things, I’ll say again. As much as its very popular and visible has serious short comings. I dunno if I wanna break those down though. It think I’ve done enough film school verbal diarrhea.

I think your right on consistency. A lot of the big Netflix shows have had difficulty sustaining quality over time. Stranger things is improving as it goes, which is a good sign. But a lot of their good stuff seems to go a bit weird, or repeat itself after a season or two.

The other thing is just how much Netflix produces. For every watchable show there are 10 pieces of trash noones even aware of. Remember their deal with Adam Sandler? They’re sort of taking the shotgun approach.

Yup. Certainly is.

1 Like

came to say the same. If there’s any complaint about the hair, it’s that it looks too natural. Neets more Lego-helmet-hair…

1 Like

Honestly I would chortle with glee if he literally just wore human-sized lego-helmet-hair

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.