First we shake, then we bake!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/20/first-we-shake-then-we-bake.html

shake n bake pork chops are legit.

if making your own…this is a must have:

3 Likes

Tuna casserole I could understand, but the Brady Bunch as fried chicken experts? Ha!

5 Likes

“And I Helped!”
I have an oven fried chicken recipe my mom used to make. As a little kid in the early 60s every Sunday I would watch Tarzan Theater and the smell was awesome. The recipe came from Betty Crocker Cook Book and is adapted by me as follows
1 Whole Chicken Parted out. I cut the breasts in two EDIT so there are four pieces of breast bone in
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
On a sheet pan place one stick of butter and 8 tbl oil (Wessonality optional) put it into the oven to melt the butter to the point where it starts to brown
Make a seasoned flour about two cups worth. Salt, Pepper 2-3 tbl each, Paprika tbl(Optional celery salt onion powder a touch of Cumin perhaps)

Coat the chicken pieces in a bag (You can shake if you want but it is not required

Place the chicken skin side down onto the melted brown butter in the pan

Cook for half an hour turn over and return to oven for another half an hour

Enjoy

7 Likes

Indeed and it is the only S&B product I still use. Though I slather the meat with mustard prior to shaking to add a “Continental” quality

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure my mom had the same edition.

1 Like

It is a near certainty

2 Likes

That was a good recipe, tho.

Chicken-fried steak and white gravy was my dad’s territory.

4 Likes

Carol’s fried chicken saved the day at least once:
chicken

What you can’t see in this picture is the pour-over rig she brought to replace the antiquated percolator.

3 Likes

Sadly, no Sam the Butcher.

Looks like Alice was getting a little side action with Pete!

1 Like

Fun Fact: The original Shake’n’Bake Girl (“And I helped!”) grew up to be my ex-girlfriend. No foolin’!

4 Likes

It’s super easy to mix up a custom shake and bake mix.
Start with a base you can improvise around. Flour, a bit of cornstarch, salt, paprika, and a crunchy bit crushed cornflakes, or saltines. even potato chips.

From there you take chicken that’s either slightly wet, or out of a marinade (buttermilk based marinade is good–or a soy sauce base)

Then SHAKE AND BAKE.

I’ll also spray them half way through baking with a mix of oil/water I keep in a refillable spray bottle. You gotta shake that up first too.

1 Like

In high school we would buy a bag of shake and then get baked.

4 Likes

Like a Polaroid picture?

4 Likes

This also reminds me of our junior high textbooks that had property labels affixed inside the front cover:

WILBUR JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL,

which were often altered to:

WILBUR and JUNIOR got HIGH at SCHOOL.

2 Likes

It’s right there in the name. What else did they expect us to do? :joy:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.