Fish has a human-like face

Yes, it starts that way, like I said.Look it up.

Heikegani were used by Carl Sagan in his popular science television series Cosmos: A Personal Voyage as an example of unintentional artificial selection,[3] an interpretation published by Julian Huxley in 1952.[4] According to this hypothesis, the crabs with shells resembling samurai were thrown back to the sea by fishermen out of respect for the Heike warriors, while those not resembling samurai were eaten, giving the former a greater chance of reproducing. Thus, the more closely the crabs resembled a samurai face, the more likely they would be spared and thrown back.[4]

1 Like

Then there is Ted Cruz, who resembles a blobfish

14 Likes

I’m thinking they painted a picture of a face on the forehead of that fish. Anything to get those sweet sweet views.

2 Likes

[Far Side cartoon of surfer gleefully running into the waves with a surfboard carried overhead as a creature from the Black Lagoon gleefully runs up the beach with a wagon carried overhead.]

2 Likes

8 Likes

9 Likes

In the case of Huxley’s crabs, it really is just pareidolia:

This idea has met with some skepticism, as noted by Joel W. Martin. He posits that humans don’t use heikegani for food, and as such there is no artificial pressure favoring face-like shell patterns, contrary to Sagan’s implication.[4] The pattern of ridges on the carapace serves a very functional purpose as sites of muscle attachment. Similar patterns are found on the carapaces of other species and genera throughout the world, including numerous fossil taxa.

Sometimes we only see what we wish to see, and, being satisfied, look no deeper.

3 Likes

Soon articles like this will lose all value with deep fake :cry:

1 Like

Deeply disappointed at the lack of fish puns.

C’mon BoingBoing!

4 Likes

Definitely something fishy going on in this thread. But you need to get off your high seahorse.

4 Likes

This will defeat piscine facial recognition.

1 Like
2 Likes

Are you for eel? You carp about lack of fish puns, yet fail to float even one. Typical molly-caudaling bottom-feeder!

images

12 Likes

I’d be more impressed if the fish’s eyes were on the front. but with its eyes being where the human’s temples would be, it just means it has one heck of a ugly nose.

I’ll just leave this here, and swim off…

4 Likes

Peter Sis shared a story of his father seeing fish with human faces in his book “Tibet Through the Red Box” published in 1999. Fascinating story that this video adds some veracity to.

There is a time and plaice.

Grandfather Trout.

And then there’s them humans with a fishy look.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.